Shudder during braking

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
My truck has been shuddering during braking for awhile. I thought it was the front rotors so I replaced them along with the pads but it had no effect. Everything in the front seems to be tight and the tires seem to be round but there is a strong front back shake when stopping. I can drive down the road the brakes on and give it some throttle so I am going ~10 mph and the truck lunges forward and back. It is acting like I am pulsing my foot on the pedal but I am not. I tried disconnecting the ABS fuse and that did not help either. I cannot feel the pulsing in the steering wheel or the brake pedal. I am stumped and it is really frustrating me. Any ideas?

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
RenoF250 said:
My truck has been shuddering during braking for awhile. I thought it was the front rotors so I replaced them along with the pads but it had no effect. Everything in the front seems to be tight and the tires seem to be round but there is a strong front back shake when stopping. I can drive down the road the brakes on and give it some throttle so I am going ~10 mph and the truck lunges forward and back. It is acting like I am pulsing my foot on the pedal but I am not. I tried disconnecting the ABS fuse and that did not help either. I cannot feel the pulsing in the steering wheel or the brake pedal. I am stumped and it is really frustrating me. Any ideas?
There could be a rust build up on the hub behind the new rotor that is causing you a runout. I would take them off and clean up the hubs then reinstall and check for runout. The shop here says it happens alot to them.

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
f100cleveland said:
There could be a rust build up on the hub behind the new rotor that is causing you a runout. I would take them off and clean up the hubs then reinstall and check for runout. The shop here says it happens alot to them.

That is an interesting theory, there was a decent ammount of rust on the hub but I would think that would caue the steering wheel to shake as it slides the caliper back and forth to compensate for the wobble in the rotor. I think it would also make the tire wobble since it sits on the rotor and they seem to be turning straight.
I am thinking of getting the Performance Friction rotors turned and putting them back on with new pads and I can clean the hubs then. The BIL says he needs new brakes so I was going to sell him these rotors and pads for a bit of a discount.

probear

Whoresetmytitle?
Reaction score
Another thing to be careful of is lug nut torque and proper torque patterns. These rotors can actually warp because of improper torque. You must use a torque wrench when tightening the lug nuts...
Clean the rust under the rotor hub and then retorque..

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
clem said:
Did you come up with a fix?

Yes, I took it too the dealer and it turned out to be the back brakes. I feel like an idiot, I never considered the possibility of it being the rear brakes so it cost me $335 for the dealer brake job.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
RenoF250 said:
Yes, I took it too the dealer and it turned out to be the back brakes. I feel like an idiot, I never considered the possibility of it being the rear brakes so it cost me $335 for the dealer brake job.
Bad shoes or drums or was it an ABS problem?

probear

Whoresetmytitle?
Reaction score
2000 had rear rotors and the ABS would have thrown an ABS light on the dash. (I just went through replacing the rear ABS sensor....Ranks as one of the easiest $20 repairs I've done in a long time...)
The rear rotors also have the parking brakes inside the small drum of the rotor. I hope that they pulled the rotors because I know a lot of people that have had to replace the rear seals at the same time as a brake job. (me includec)
Once again, you can warp the rotors (yes, even the rear's) by not torquing properly.

Glad you found your problem.

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
Yeah the rotors needed to be turned, supposedly glazed. Must have been on the inside because the outside looked fine. I do not believe in the torqueing theory but I still torque in 3 stages in a star pattern just in case. Now I am concerned about the front again. Took it out for a test with the new 80 HP Econo tune PCM in and when I got back the front rotors were going tink tink tink VERY loud. Like they were very hot but I did not smell brakes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58