Sirius or XM?

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
I've looked at both units, and I really can't decide between the two. I get XM already through the DirecTV receiver in the house, and Sirius has NFL and Radio Margueritaville, which I like. I'm looking for advice from all of you. Please chime in.

Black_Mamba

I'm a Window Licker!!
Reaction score
I've been in the same dilema for the past year and still can't decide. I have Sirrus on the Dish (which has alot of REALLY good rock stations) but have heard good things about XM. I'd go with the one you know you are going to get the most use out of. Thats the problem I have.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have Sirus on my DISH Network and XM in my truck and home stereo. I would call it a toss up. Is there a special program that you want? That may make your choice for you. I got XM before Sirus was a going concern.

Dave

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i only use it on my dish. i to like the margaritville channel. and the cool hawaii channel
as far as in the truck.... personally i feel it would be a waste of time, thats why i have all them cd;s:D
i could spend money better on a laptop gps with routes and a nice inverter

CHPMustang

Reaction score
XM Satellite Radio

How many times have I seen this thread title around the internet:D I also have both services and both have equal qualities.

What it really comes down to is you want sports (NFL for example) Sirius is the way to go but on the other hand if you're a Music Aficionado then XM is a hands down winner for their playlist/library is the largest with the least repetition but then again XM has MLB & College Football for starters :thumbs

My kids 4 & 6 prefer XM over cartoons:eek: :D

Here's our XM in the Excursion and inside on connected to the home audio system.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Thanks, all!
I already have a portable Garmin GPS that I swap from the truck to the boat, so that was taken care of. Radio around here basically sucks. I'm a smooth jazz fan, and the "smooth jazz" station here is programmed by someone who would not know the format if it came behind him and bit him in the behind. As to the depth of the playlists, that was what I was concerned with, I didn't want to get another box that would play pabulum from a radio programmer. Not if I'm PAYING for the service!

Bill, thanks for the pictures of your installation. I like it! The Sirius unit I was looking at would install on the overhead console above the rearview mirror, but would take a "mile" of wire to run audio and power to my CD-6 radio with the aux input. I'm looking into making a switched arrangement where the AUX input can handle both the satellite radio and a future iPod through a multi-source switch. There's an adapter for the radio that opens up the AUX port into two RCA jacks, it shouldn't be that hard a deal.

I just have to put up my steel arch building before it gets too cold so I can have a place to work on it!

Shraderman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Alabama for the Weather, Canada for the $Money$
Sirius

I went with the Sirius unit. I liked them better as I wanted the Football. Basically Sirius has all of the major sports with the exception of Nascar. Sirius also has one other advantage in that if you want, you can pay up front and never have monthly payments. It amounts to paying for about 4-5 years worth up front, but then you're golden.

I did quite a lot of research on a lot of web sites before taking the plunge. You can go to google.com and just type "compare sirius and xm" and let it go from there. I also took the time to sign up for the free month and listen over the computer. You can hear basically all of the music, but none of the sports. Sirius does have one drawback in that it has shows like Howard Stern and Martha Stewart which don't appeal to everyone, with no way to delete them.

By the way, I simply routed the antenna up by the A-pillar to the dash. It works great and I didn't have to drill any holes.

ShraderMan

Reaction score
Shraderman said:
. . . Basically Sirius has all of the major sports with the exception of Nascar. . . .

In another year or so - NASCAR is moving to Sirius. Saw it on the NASCAR site a while back. NASCAR was one of the reasons I went with XM - but due to the money already spent on the cars, trucks and a Polk XM™ Home Receiver (XRT12) - I'll be missing NASCAR then cause I won't be changing.

Ron

CHPMustang

Reaction score
rgdillon said:
In another year or so - NASCAR is moving to Sirius. Saw it on the NASCAR site a while back. NASCAR was one of the reasons I went with XM - but due to the money already spent on the cars, trucks and a Polk XM™ Home Receiver (XRT12) - I'll be missing NASCAR then cause I won't be changing.

Ron
No worries about Nascar it'll still be live on TV unless they make it pay per view:rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64