Help Needed sluggish 7.3

thetack3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 2000 Excursion is sporadically sluggish and my fuel mileage has dropped off. Lots of black smoke when I get back on the gas after slowing down. I had the cps changed that did'nt help. The dude at ford said it might be the icp sensor, but he thinks that my f6 chip from dp tuner is causing the problems. Any thoughts as too my problem?

JRJ04

Reaction score
what else have you done to the truck? Fill out your signature with all of your mods so we can help you.

The black smoke would come from the dp-tuner. what kind of tune are you running? Last time fuel filter has been changed? all your fluids good and full? last time oil and filter change?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't use the term "gas" here. You get on the throttle and pour gas in your car. Many here have used gas to mean diesel and some have used it to mean gas. Gas does not belong in any diesel engine. A few have accidentally fueled up with gas, only to have removed it very quickly. This will help keep the confusion to a minimum. Thanks,

Dave :)

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have had the dp with problems till now...boost leak...check all 6 boots and 12 clamps..also check the up pipes for any soot build up..

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you switch tunes while driving? I've done that before with my TS and it sometimes causes the truck to lunge and then it will pick back up, but the throttle is slow at first and then picks up.

thetack3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the thoughts, keep them coming. I don't appreciate the smart ass remark about "gas", someone is a little to touchy about their diesel.

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
what else have you done to the truck? Fill out your signature with all of your mods so we can help you.

The black smoke would come from the dp-tuner. what kind of tune are you running? Last time fuel filter has been changed? all your fluids good and full? last time oil and filter change?

anything on the things i listed above? that is a good place to start.:sweet

I dont think Dave is meaning any harm...just wants everything to be accurate!

thetack3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Have not had a chance to try any of them yet, but I plan to. I did try to call jody at dp and they are on vacation this week. Thanks for the help!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58