Question Smokes excessively on startup

bdernbach

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I am extremely new to your forum, but hoping to get some help. I have a 2003 F350 with a 7.3L. The engine has 70k on it. I have an intake, 4 inch straight shot exhaust and a Superchips programmer from 2003. The programmer was new in 2003 and I was wondering if programmers have gotten much better in the 10 years since I purchased mine? Maybe this is the problem? Please don't ask me the color of the smoke because I truly can't tell, bluish white? I do run the truck on the HiPeformance setting all the time except when towing my trailer. Anyway, thanks for your help.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What weight ? By popular opinion based on exsperiences here.. 5w 40 is best for these diesels..

Fuel filter changed lately ?

Joe

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
this time of year, I'd think incomplete combustion.. it goes away after a couple of seconds, right?

KyleE

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
maybe its an injector problem?? try to get your injectors tested, a month ago I was getting about 9.6 miles per gallon with a LOT of black smoke (unburned fuel) and got two of my injectors replaced by dieselogic, apparently injectors were releasing two much fuel volume. saved me money in the long run, now im getting 15.3 mpg.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[this time of year], I'd think incomplete combustion.. it goes away after a couple of seconds, right?

;tu

Not many "Smoke" posts in the Spring & Summer here. Dezelz do that... on a Cold Start. Stop by a job site on a Coold Winter Morning. Looks like LA.. on a Bad Air Day.. smoke rings, puffing billowing clouds of un-burnt ULSC Dezel... until a little Head temp gets built up (?).

The right lube oil and a little cetane booster will help, but Some Smoke... Is the *Nature Of the Beast ??

Joe

* Whala.... the DPF and DEF. (doesn't totally Eliminate it.. but it does reduce it quite a bit ?) (I guess ?;))

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
White/blue smoke is a temperature thing, as Joe pointed out. Let it warm up for a few minutes and it will go away. Nothing to get worked up about. :)

DAVE ;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14