Smokin' In Vegas

Judye

Judye
Reaction score
I have a 1985 F250 6.9 diesel
Well, I'm new and I'll try to post again. My other one got lost somewhere out there in cyber-space.
I'm glad I found this site and I hope I can learn more than I've found out from calling local mechanics. Anything I find out here should be fine, because they won't tell me anything except what it will cost for them to tell me something.
So don't be shy.
My truck has been smoking (black) almost continuously now for a couple months. Big puffs when starting out and it mellows a bit until I take off from a stop light. People sure hate being behind me!
It doesn't matter whether the engine is warm or not. But this is Vegas and nothing cools down this time of the year. Can't wait to move back to Northern California.
Thanks in advance for your advice. Judye

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SDD. It has been a while since I had my IDI, so I won't be much help. Have you ever rebuilt the pump? Injectors? Does it start hard when hot?

Dave

Judye

Judye
Reaction score
DaveBen...staff moderator. Thanks for reading my post. I'm honored. :)
I don't think this one has had the pump rebuilt. I had two diesel trucks for a few years. I think the other one had the pump... Got too expensive, to say the least, so I sold the F350.
It starts great, runs great... everything is fine, except for the loss of power and the smoke.
But the power loss pulling a horse trailer is probably normal. And it's never had much kick up hills!
I just don't want to kill my horses with exhaust driving to Northern CA with them in tow. Over 800 miles. I don't need to go fast, just want to get there.
The smoke never stops completely. When cruising at a higher speed it's just light brown smoke... or light gray.
The oil in the air filter pan bothers me. I have wiped out oil a couple times in the last couple weeks. Could that be related??? Why is there oil in the air filter pan??? Thank you, Judye

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14