Speaker pods

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
anyone have the kick panel speaker pods? i see them for sale but i cant see how you would install on the drivers side without relocating the hood release.

Also, whats up with Ford placing the CC 6x8's in the rear BEHIND THE SEAT? i dont think they thought about drowning in a sea of seat cusion. they could have at least put them in the doors.

i think i'll make pods for above the seat in the corner of the cab.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Q-Forms come w/ an ebrake relocation kit.

Im w/ 'cha on the 4x6 rear speakers...consider doin'
a custom install (anyone should be able to do better
than mine, please).

Or check the clearance in the doors...carpet & mount 'em
in the door (rather than what i did w/ the board & fiber glass).

I'd like to add the QForums to the kick panels myself...but
its hard to justify a 4th pair (even though i have the amp channels
already).

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
a 6x8 would be perfect right about where you got that rear tweeter mounted.... if i had the option i would probably go ahead and get those kick pannel mids just to fill in the blanks of the sound field. it's much more directional than what you hear from the doors.

what are you running that third set of tweets off of? just tapping into the x-over from the rear mids?

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
After a weekend playing with fibergalss.

i still have to texture and paint them. i went looking for texture pain and everyone thought i was crazy. they insisted i was looking for carpet paint. I'm also going re-route the wire so it exits from the back instead of the top. i thought it wasn't going to be visible but it is. they just snap in so if i get another ford i can take them with me.

DSC03779.JPG

DSC03777.JPG

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, that's slick. If I ever get some free time, I might have to buy some fiberglass (never messed with it before) and make some pods for my SD since the stock location is so dreadfully bad...

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
this was my first fiberglass project. once you learn it, it's still as pain in the butt. i will definitely be looking into future projects with it though. i'd like to build a switch box that sets on the dash above the steering wheel. i've started the frame. i'll post photos when it's finished.

anyhow jvencius, look me up if you need to learn from my mistakes.

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
I did not use foam. first i used the factory panel and made the size base i would need so it would fit perfectly on the plastic. pretty much just covered the top 7". when i say base i mean a sheet of the glass molded over top of the factory panel, about an inch overhang at top top curling over to hold the weight of the speaker and about a an eighth of an inch on the sides so it would snap in and hold tight to the plastic. i didnt recreate the side tabs as i wanted the ford trim to still be able to overlap and fasten as it did before. then i removed the fiberglass piece and cut a speaker ring out of wood and set it on stilts at the desired angle and fastened it to my base. then i stretched spandex over the ring and tied it behind the base. next is to paint the spandex w/fiberglass resin and add chop mat. once it hardens the rest is just bondo work and sanding. the toughest part was getting the pod to snap over the existing panel securely yet allowing to still be removed. the other tough part was getting both pods the same shape. all a matter of creating identical bases and speaker ring stilt positioning .

most of this probably sounds like garble... let me know what i need to clarify on.

Last edited:

Fordpowrstroke73

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Arrowstrap thats a pretty sweet set-up! I really like how you mounted everything. I would be intereseted in seeing if you would build me a set for my CC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58