Help Needed speaker question

commanderjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta newbie question for you stereo guys. What size speakers are in my truck......or will fit with only minor mods? Mine are shot after 300k and I wanna install some new ones (preferably 6x9's), but don't wanna have to remove the door panels just to find out what size will fit before ordering.

Thanks guys!:D

Last edited:

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
they are 5x7 if im not mistaken and some 6x9's fit ...i have the 5x7 memphis i think m class should say on my sig great speakers and they have crossovers so you can tune thme in real nice..im sure others with more experience will chime in for some more help!

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
The OEM speakers are 6x8. 5x7's will fit as well. some 6x9's will fit depending on the basket design. i have 6x9 polk audio momo's and they will not fit.

commanderjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OEM speakers are 6x8. 5x7's will fit as well. some 6x9's will fit depending on the basket design. i have 6x9 polk audio momo's and they will not fit.
So when you say "will not fit", do you mean at all or that they will require some mod's? I'd really like to install the 6x9 Blaupunkts that I have already put in a different vehicle, but not if it requires hacking up the door......I'd be OK with some minor mod' with a die grinder, etc...

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
So when you say "will not fit", do you mean at all or that they will require some mod's? I'd really like to install the 6x9 Blaupunkts that I have already put in a different vehicle, but not if it requires hacking up the door......I'd be OK with some minor mod' with a die grinder, etc...

yes, it may only be minor grinding. i know when i put 6X9's in my ranger, i had to whip out the metal saw and did quite a bit of hacking to get them to fit. same deal there: 6x9 into a 6x8 hole. i really wish ford didnt make such an oddball speaker size! hope it works out for you and keep us posted.

commanderjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I'll let you know how it works out. Hopefully I won't have to break out the plasma cutter and a BFH.:backoff

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fords not the only one that uses 6x8s and there's enough room in the front door to use a spacer ring to make the 6x9 basket fit in the 6x8 hole. We did it all the time when I was installing car a/v.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that there is not much space between your stock speaker and your door panel. Depending on the spacer thickness and resonance distance(how far your speaker jumps as you turn it up), you could get a bad distortion and possibly damage the speaker. If you do go this route, after you install it, just be sure to listen and visually check very closely. You may not hear it hitting and this could slowly cause damage overtime.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58