speedo recal

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
How does one recalibrate the speedo on a 92 73 diesel rig? I'm running 36's and it is a ways off? thanks Lee

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does one recalibrate the speedo on a 92 73 diesel rig? I'm running 36's and it is a ways off? thanks Lee

On my 91 it was by changing the gear in/on the tranny, where the cable goes in. Ford has a series of gears (color coded).

As to which gear for the 36s ? no clue. A good exsperienced Ford Parts guy might know. Maybe a good Speedo shop ?

Hope this helps ??

Joe

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I don't know what year they switched over from mechanical to electronic.

If it is cable drive then like Big Joe said there are different color coded gears that go on the end of the cable at the transmission end. Local dealer here had a assortment when I needed one for my 75'.

If it is electronic then you can recalibrate it by using the instructions in the WIKI.

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
well it must have been 92 then if Joes was cable driven. Mine has the speed sensor on the rearend, so what do I put in on wiki? Ijust looked on wiki and is looks like it only goes to 94.5. Hows it going keven?

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Going good around here, how are things in your neck of the woods?

Is there a single wire connector under the glove box that says PSOM? Is there a "reset" button and a "select" button on the speedometer? If so I would guess it can be programmed just like the 94-97 trucks.

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
I bet there is and yes there is a reset select button. how do I do this procedure? so what does this wire do?

Things are good here. Job is going good sometimes I wish I would've pursued a job up there for awhile before I got this job but this one is too good to quit. But if something happens here I'll be up there. Hows that rubicon doing? are you gonna be int he chatroom tonight I may stop by and say hello for a bit if someone is in there I know.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
how do I do this procedure? so what does this wire do?

From the WIKI

First you want to get a rolling measurement of your actual tire height:

* Mark the ground and your tire and roll forward three revolutions marking the ground each time.
* Measure the distance from the first mark to the last mark
* Divide that number by three to get the average length of one revolution (this will protect yourself against a bad reading using just one revolution).
* You can then divide the length of one revolution by 3.14 to get actual tire height.

Next you figure out the calibration code:

The Ford calibration equation is: 20186 / tire height in inches = some number, then some number /.6666 = program code.

* Start with 20186
* Divide by actual tire size in inches
* Divide again by .6666

Last you enter the code into the truck:

To set the calibration, ground the single wire connector under the glove box that says PSOM (Programmable Speedometer Odometer Module). There is only one and it has a spade type plug on the end.

* Next look at your speedometer while sitting in the drivers seat and there should be a "reset" button and a "select" button.
* While holding the "reset" button in turn the ignition to "on" then let go of the "reset" button.
* The speedometer display will sweep once and will show a code. Now push in the "reset" button again and the existing code will be displayed with RECALL.
* Now you enter your new calibration code by pushing the "select" button until it gets to the new calibration code number.
* You may have to push "select" a whole bunch of times until you get to your code. If you turn off the key at this point the original code will not be changed.
* To store your new code press "Reset", turn off the key and unplug the ground wire under the glove box.

Don't forget that you can only change the calibration 6 times without replacing the module and the previous owner may have already had it done a few times.

Rubicon doing good. Must have around 400 miles on it. Plowed out the driveway with it last night. Got it a little brother - 07' Rancher AT - same hydrostatic transmission as the Rubicon :sweet No chat tonight it is a work night :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58