Speedometer Calibration Question

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I know I'm supposed to know the answer to this one but CRS memory is in high gear :roflmao

Do we have to change the speedo gear in the tranny when we upsize the tires/change differential ratios or was it as simple as plugging in a electronic gizmo to calibrate the 4R100 via the OBD port?

:thanks Bill

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a computer thing.

The truck calculates speed based on a TONE RING thats inside the rear axle. There is some math involved, but yeah, its a computer thing.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Come on now Bill, you knew that!!! :doh:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Daryl,

How much different is it to recal the speedo on the 99+ trucks as opposed to the 94-97 trucks?

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is something I cut-and-pasted onto my hard drive off of TDS a while back, but it's what I used when I took my truck to the dealer for a speedometer re-cal and it worked just fine:

Special Service Message 11789 & 11790 from 7/29/99 (updated to include 2002 PSDs).

1)Ensure all harness connections are plugged in.

2)Using Rotunda New Generation Star (NGS) scanner and Version 3.2 or higher Service Card, Plug into the DCL connector. [ADDED: Do not use a service card version later than early 2001 model year. This will not work if you try to use a service card dated after the 2002 models came out. But it will work on 2002 or earlier trucks if you use a Service Card for 2001 or earlier SuperDuties.]

3)Turn Key on w/Engine Off.

4)Select Service Bay Functions

5)Select ABS Module or 4WABS Module depending on application. (All 2002 SuperDuties have 4WABS - 4-wheel ABS)

6)Select Tire Size/Axle Ratio Configure.

7)Enter tire manufacturer's specification of revs/mile (tire revolutions per mile). If not available, use Formula of: 63360 Divided by the Circumfrence of the tire measured in inches. Add 2 zeros in front of the solution. Enter this number into the NGS as the REV.PER MILE figure. [ADDED: To be even more accurate, enter the following rev/mile:

For 285/75R16 tires enter 00636 (except Dunlop)
For 295/75R16 tires enter 00626
For 315/75R16 tires enter 00601

Do not try to enter a number less than 00601.]

8)Select Tone Ring size and verify that 120 is programmed in.

9)Select <Option> and press TRIGGER.

10)Select <Vehicle> and press TRIGGER.

11)Press <Done> and the Module will be reprogrammed.

12)Check Speedo accuracy.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Daryl,

How much different is it to recal the speedo on the 99+ trucks as opposed to the 94-97 trucks?

See above post. Thats how different!

The other option is to by a speed recalibration box from one of the aftermarket companies. I think its called a "tru-Speed" or something. Its a spendy box, but it allows you to recal without going to the dealer.

Dale_Lakin

Powerstroke Wannabe Owner
Reaction score
http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1762

They are not 100% but it gets it very close to the WDS and whatever the little new Palm Pilot gizmo is called. Not a bad price on it there either especially if you get a greedy dealer. I have heard them charging 150-175 so for a few more bones you have one and can resell it on ebay or charge your buddies $20 a pop to recal their Speedos :thumbs

kwazyca

Sesquipedalian
Reaction score
I installed my Truspeed and calibrated it with a handheld GPS.

It is dead on!!! I tested it against C.H.P. radar (buddy) at 4 different speeds.

It has two positions on the box to allow for winter/summer tires. It also changes your shift points back to the correct positions as well as your anti-lock brakes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58