Started then died

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
So it is cold here today (-4) and I went out to start my truck. Started up fine and ran for about 15 min. Went back out to hop in and take off....it wasn't running.

I pulled a bonehead move and forgot to fill my tank over the weekend. I only have about 1/4 a tank. I am ssuming that the fuel in the tank and lines is gelled or has some moisture in it.

Help?

Can I just throw some antigel in and fill the tank and hope for the best or is there more I should do?

THANKS!!!!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
-20 here last night and this morning. I drove the truck last night and it felt a little sluggish. Got up at 5 am to take my daughter to BB practice and it died on the way to her school, dont ask me how or why but it restarted and I was able to get her there. I had winter anitgel (not Howes Crummy;))in the tank already but it must not have been good enough to keep it from beginning to gel. Went straight to the store and got some 911 (the stuff in the red bottle) and poured it in the tank and shes running like a champ now.

So, go buy yourself a bottle of 911 and you can pour about 8 ounces right into the filter housing and the rest in the tank. Buy yourself a couple extra bottles to keep on hand.

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Well...did the whole thing, got her running for about 5 min over lunch then she started to run rough and died again. I am going to pull the filters after work and clean them off and then put them back in and see if I can get her running.

Wish me luck! I am going to need it out here in this 4 degree weather!!!

Last edited:

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Don't forget to plug it in. Won't really help the fuel issue but it will help thin the motor oil and allow for easier cranking.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I had winter anitgel (not Howes Crummy;))in the tank.
:sweet You do pay attention grasshopper.

Like Mike said throw some 911 in the tank and top it off with winter fuel. If the lines are froze up tight you may need to get it inside to thaw.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
:sweet You do pay attention grasshopper.

Yeah, and I still almost froze up. It was only 20-25 below at the time, had I lived where you are I'da had a popsicle in my tank.

Iron,

Did, you get going yet? One other item to look at if the 911 didnt cure you is the HFCM on the frame under the drivers door. Good chance if you are still froze up, then it might be there.

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys! Got it going last night about 6pm. Had to pull both filters (the bottom one looked like a candle when I pulled it out) and clean them up with some 911. Got them all good and then put in some Howes and the rest of the 911. Got her running, drove her for 20-30 miles and she is back to normal.

I WILL NEVER LET THAT HAPPEN AGAIN!!! ROOKIE MOVE!!! :dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58