steering shimmy when braking

bonfire

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
On a recent trip to Arkansas, noticed this problem with the wife's rig. First thought was warped brake rotors but I dont feel an oscillation in the brake pedal. It's definitely coming through the steering wheel and only does it during braking? Any ideas. I refuse to let Ford fix it for what will undoubtedly be $400.00.

Bill

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Bill,are you on the original brake pads/rotors? If so how many miles on em or how many miles since they we're last serviced?

Whats the tires conditions/mileage?

bonfire

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
As far as I know they are original. Close to 70K on the meter. Tires are relatively new. We did the Pirelli Scorpion's thing during the recall

CHPMustang said:
Bill,are you on the original brake pads/rotors? If so how many miles on em or how many miles since they we're last serviced?

Whats the tires conditions/mileage?

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
bonfire,

99% of the time that's warped rotors, some guys have found that ball joints can cause it too though.

Mark @ DPPI

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
I bet it's the rotors. I had the same thing in the truck. Didn't feel it through the brake pedal either. Just a thought, you could at least get them turned, cost about 10 or 15 bucks usually.

bonfire

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Guess its like taking a multiple choise exam. If your not 100% sure of the answer always stick with your first guess. Thanks a bunch guys.:thanks

Bill

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
I can think of several things, also.

1. Rotor.
2. bad tire/balance or tire not seated right when installed/torqued and/or loose lugnut(s).
3. Steering Damper.
4. wheel bearings.

I had my wife "break" the end link off of my Hellwig swaybar last month, Yes I said broke compltely off. I don't know if it was a tire out of balance or the swaybar end link. But after balancing the tires a 2nd time in a week and fixing the end link (we missed it during the first tire balance/rotation) problem gone.

Good Luck! I say go cheap (re-balance and rotate the tires) and see if it changes or moves the problem to the rear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14