steering wander ?

lance2004f550

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
? - I have a 2004 f-550 chassis cab, 165" wb. I have a problem with steering wander when roads have different heights(for example- heavy road use make tracks, or when they pour shoulders after the main section of road and the is a slight elevation difference. It is actually gets squirrely. I have installed new rancho heavy duty shocks and a new heavy duty steering stablizer, and all ball joints have been replaced with in the last year. I have also put new tires on it(Bridgestone). It did get better when I put shocks and stabilizer on but it is still there, some days better than others

atk

Reaction score
have you had a front end alignment done? is the steering box and all steering components in good shape? i have found if i run a little less psi in the front tires it does help with this issue....

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
? - I have a 2004 f-550 chassis cab, 165" wb. I have a problem with steering wander when roads have different heights(for example- heavy road use make tracks, or when they pour shoulders after the main section of road and the is a slight elevation difference. It is actually gets squirrely. I have installed new rancho heavy duty shocks and a new heavy duty steering stablizer, and all ball joints have been replaced with in the last year. I have also put new tires on it(Bridgestone). It did get better when I put shocks and stabilizer on but it is still there, some days better than others

Nature of the Beast on these F Series things, IMO.

Have the the Steering Box Pre-load checked. Some Front End shops may want you to take it to FORD though.

After mileage, new shocks, ball joints, stabilizers, tires and the like.. the OEM geometry goes away and the pre-load goes with it.

Happened on my 2K, had it re-loaded.. now it's Strait & True.. with just a very, very slight Left input to the wheel.... like yer hand on the wheel ?? Doesn't dart or wander at all.

Joe

What atk sez too.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what do you mean by re-loaded?

Kinda hard fer me to "esplain" , but I'll give it a shot.

Factory New, the alignment being all new and tight to [assembly specs], the steering box is Pre-loaded to an assembly spec, or adjustment, also.

As time and road/terrain miles occur, things wear or get out of alignment. As steering and suspension components are replaced or re-aligned (tires too) the steering box adjustment specs (pre-load) is often overlooked (because it's an individual Manufacturer's spec for Make & Model) or not addressed by >SOME< independant....Alignment Shops. (not being sh**ty here, just being truthfull)

SOooo.... You can, concievably, TOTALLY rebuild, then re-aligne a front end but because the specs (slack, so to speak) in the steering box werent addressed and re-adjusted (re-loaded).. to co-inside and compensate for the Now New componants.... yer vehicle May.. Wander.... some, or a lot, as you try to keep it 'tween the lines.

Make any Sence :dunno

Joe

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks JOE....very good info

did you have your`s done at the dealer?

;tu Good, I waz hope'n it made some sense. Front-end alignment and it's Geometry can get purdy Rockety Sciencey.. real Quik.

atk.. I had mine done at a local Tire & Alignment shop that I've done business with for 30 years. They have tought me alot (and I Hep'd ;)) about how it all works, thats why I posted that "they" may tell you to take it to Ford, GM and so on, with any Steering box/Pre-load stuff. Around here anyway.

Needless to say...Tire size, other than stock, and lifts all have alot to do with it too.

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track