stereo problems, need help

jflaig

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was driving my truck today and all of a sudden, I went over a bump, my radio clicked, and there was a burning smell from the center dash. From that point on I only have a little bit of sound coming out of the drivers side front speaker, barely audible. This is the factory single cd changer out of my 2000 F350 cc and am willing to replace it if needed with an after market unit, but do not know if it could be something else causing it. Could this be a fuse or even the speakers. I do not want to start replacing my entire audio system if it was just a bad component. Please give me your thoughts or if you had a similar problem. Thank you.

Joe

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
that's odd. especially since you still heard sound out of it. probably something inside your stereo if i had to guess. maybe the amplifier? if it were a fuse, it shouldnt have been making any noise at all. i would probably just replace it. just a suggestion: i have a really nice JVC with bluetooth thats about $200 from crutchfield. they supply you with the harness, mounting gear, and detailed instructions.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
yeah you can find some good deals on nice units if you stay patient.... i would go ahead and check the fuses since its relatively easy to do... I too don't think its a fuse because you're still hearing some noise but its worth a shot..... pull the unit out of the dash and take a look behind it.... see if you see anything noticeable?

stereoduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
your nose can be a good diagnostic tool here! pull the radio out of the dash using ford radio removal tools from your local auto parts store. smell the radio! if it smells like smoke or burnt electronics then its toast! chances are if you hear sound out of one speaker and not the others and it is very faint at high volumes something has shorted in the radio itself. if the radio still turns on all the fuses are good and do not need to be replaced. if you have a volt meter you can check the impedence on the speakers to make sure none of them are shorted out. any more questions feel free to ask! hope this helps!

jflaig

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I really appreciate all of your help. I ended up taking the radio out of the truck to try to test it and found a penny rattling in it, so the previous owner had some kids I guess, but it was a good excuse to get a new head unit. So, I bought myself a Pioneer DEH-4100UB off of crutchfield and its great. This was my third head unit I bought from them. I hope that everyone else's trucks are running great! Thank you.

Joe

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track