Stock 6 Disc Stereo to RCA jacks?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read that the stock 6 disc cd player doesn't have the rca jacks to hook up to an amp. So how does one do this without buying an after market stereo? Can I splice some female rca connections into my back speakers (going into a 300 watt amp)? And how do you remove the stock radio...just for refference?...I've already got the tool to push the 4 pins in to unlock it, but where/how do you grab onto it to pull it out?

I've got the main wire ran for the amp to the battery terminal. Is that ok?...won't drain my battery? Its a 5 gauge wire and putting it on a switch will be a pain. Not to mention I'm gonna have to remount the back seats a little forward so the speakers can fit behind the seat.

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They sell adapters to do this . They can be wired into any of the speaker wires to get the signal . The are basically rca plugs with 2 wires coming out of each of them . They usually also have a common ground . You will have to find a wire that gets hot when you turn the radio on (if there is one on that radio) or run the remote wire out of the fuse box from an ignition powered location . If you have to come out of the fuse box put a toggle switch on it so you can shut the amp off if you turn the radio off . If you don't the subs flail due to no input and make a horrible noise .

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They can be wired into any of the speaker wires to get the signal QUOTE]

So you are saying I CAN splice into my factory speaker wires?

They sell adapters to do this . They can be wired into any of the speaker wires to get the signal . The are basically rca plugs with 2 wires coming out of each of them . They usually also have a common ground . You will have to find a wire that gets hot when you turn the radio on (if there is one on that radio) or run the remote wire out of the fuse box from an ignition powered location . If you have to come out of the fuse box put a toggle switch on it so you can shut the amp off if you turn the radio off . If you don't the subs flail due to no input and make a horrible noise .

:dizzy

The remote? Is that the knob that has the "telephone plug" at the end....and goes into the amp. I'm new to all this :coffee So if I have the remote, I wont need to put a toggle switch or anything on it?

I have a 5 gauge wire that runs straight to the amp from the + battery terminal...with a 100amp fuse and capacitor. Then somehow get the rca jacks hooked up to the amp/radio and amp to speakers.

Thanks Bad Knight;tu
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ok...I got the remote part now....blue wire that tells the amp to kick on.

Think I'm gonna get an after market radio to keep it simple.

Last edited:

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The item you need is called a speaker level input adapter. It takes the signal from your speaker wires (generally the rear speakers) and converts it to an output the the amp can you via RCA cables.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
You need a line out converter (aka speaker level input adapter) you will splice this into your rear speakers, and it will convert them to RCA outputs, then use an RCA cable to hook the converter to the input on your amp. A good line out converter will require 12v+ and a ground, but will also provide you with a "remote turn on signal" for your amp, this is usually a blue wire, you will hook it up into the "remote" spot on your amp.

The phone cable type connector is for a bass or boost control knob, that you mount in reach of the drivers seat, and lets you control the amount of bass (up or down) that your amp is putting out to the subs, in case you ever want to turn the bass down but keep the music loud.

Also make sure your speakers are wired correctly to provide the correct ohms for your amp, or you could cook your amp.

1badOBS

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
They can be wired into any of the speaker wires to get the signal QUOTE]

So you are saying I CAN splice into my factory speaker wires?

:dizzy

The remote? Is that the knob that has the "telephone plug" at the end....and goes into the amp. I'm new to all this :coffee So if I have the remote, I wont need to put a toggle switch or anything on it?

I have a 5 gauge wire that runs straight to the amp from the + battery terminal...with a 100amp fuse and capacitor. Then somehow get the rca jacks hooked up to the amp/radio and amp to speakers.

Thanks Bad Knight;tu
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ok...I got the remote part now....blue wire that tells the amp to kick on.

Think I'm gonna get an after market radio to keep it simple.

hey bud,i hate to derail your thread,was gonna send pm....cant seem to do that......ROOLLTIDE though brother!!!!!!!! im from bama to...just thought id let ya know,you gotta hometowner on here with ya!!!

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a line out converter (aka speaker level input adapter) you will splice this into your rear speakers, and it will convert them to RCA outputs, then use an RCA cable to hook the converter to the input on your amp. A good line out converter will require 12v+ and a ground, but will also provide you with a "remote turn on signal" for your amp, this is usually a blue wire, you will hook it up into the "remote" spot on your amp.

The phone cable type connector is for a bass or boost control knob, that you mount in reach of the drivers seat, and lets you control the amount of bass (up or down) that your amp is putting out to the subs, in case you ever want to turn the bass down but keep the music loud.

Also make sure your speakers are wired correctly to provide the correct ohms for your amp, or you could cook your amp.

GREAT INFO!!!! THANKS;tu;tu

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey bud,i hate to derail your thread,was gonna send pm....cant seem to do that......ROOLLTIDE though brother!!!!!!!! im from bama to...just thought id let ya know,you gotta hometowner on here with ya!!!

Glad to hear that!!! I've been living in lose-iana for the past two years. Last year I had my truck decked out with 2 Bama window flags, a big 3'x5' flag with the "A" mounted to a flag pole (mounted to my toolbox), and a Alabama bug shield. Yea...I was getting some one finger waves. Of course I smiled and waved back:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64