Storing my 6.7

roble1

roble1
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2013 250 Platinum with the 6.7 , I only put 3 to 4 thousand miles on a year, mainly pulling my fifth wheel camper. I change the oil once a year regardless of miles. I don't drive it in the winter, its stored in a heated garage, but I am wondering what I should do to keep the fuel system from causing problems from sitting for 6 months at a time. I bought the truck in January of 2015 with 9000 miles on it and haven't had any problems yet but looking for some input on what I should use for additive if any. I usually fill the tank full before storing but when I put her to bed this year it was before the stations in my area had switched to winter blend fuel. Should I store it with blended or non-blended fuel? Thanks for your input.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think that if the heat never drops below 50 it would be just fine. If it's gets below 15 you might get some gel, but if it's not being used it would be fine the next time you drove it.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to put in bacteriocide fuel treatment.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think that if the heat never drops below 50 it would be just fine. If it's gets below 15 you might get some gel, but if it's not being used it would be fine the next time you drove it.
Is it a deal where diesel will gel below a certain temp then "melt" back to normal once it gets warm enough?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Think of it like a wax.
If it will get below freezing, don't overfill the def tank. It will freeze, and needs room to expand.
I would fill up with winter fuel, if you can't. If not, just dump in some additives.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to put in bacteriocide fuel treatment.
The idea here is that diesel sitting around is a soup for microbes. More of a concern than gelling in storage unless you expect to suddenly need to start it when it's gelled. But the microbes create slime, and that makes all sorts of problems. That, in my opinion, is the greater issue here...

carbonation

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
A usual dose of your choice of fuel add, and a bacteria killer such as Sta-Bil Diesel Biocide, FPPF Killem, or Power Service Bio Kleen.
You need to do something. Bio laced fuels will absorb moisture, and moisture enables slime growth. Considering the way Ford will deny any warranty work on the fuel system if even a hint of rust is present, you cannot just hope it won't happen.
Every tank in my truck gets Stanadyne as well. That makes water drop out of suspension, and then it gets drained off.

Last edited:

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....and I'd run the engine for a spell, get the biocide dispersed well and into the fuel lines, not just the tank?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64