Storing my 6.7

Discussion in 'General Super Duty Discussion' started by roble1, Dec 18, 2017.

1. roble1

roble1 roble1

Hello, I have a 2013 250 Platinum with the 6.7 , I only put 3 to 4 thousand miles on a year, mainly pulling my fifth wheel camper. I change the oil once a year regardless of miles. I don't drive it in the winter, its stored in a heated garage, but I am wondering what I should do to keep the fuel system from causing problems from sitting for 6 months at a time. I bought the truck in January of 2015 with 9000 miles on it and haven't had any problems yet but looking for some input on what I should use for additive if any. I usually fill the tank full before storing but when I put her to bed this year it was before the stations in my area had switched to winter blend fuel. Should I store it with blended or non-blended fuel? Thanks for your input.

2. WD40

WD40 Full Access Member

I would think that if the heat never drops below 50 it would be just fine. If it's gets below 15 you might get some gel, but if it's not being used it would be fine the next time you drove it.

3. RSG

RSG Full Access Member

Might want to put in bacteriocide fuel treatment.

4. 01yellerCobra

01yellerCobra Full Access Member

Is it a deal where diesel will gel below a certain temp then "melt" back to normal once it gets warm enough?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

5. 79jasper

79jasper Full Access Member

Yes. Think of it like a wax.
    If it will get below freezing, don't overfill the def tank. It will freeze, and needs room to expand.
    I would fill up with winter fuel, if you can't. If not, just dump in some additives.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

6. troutwest66

troutwest66 6.0- The Dark Side!

Give it a real good dose of Power Service or another good anti-gel winter fuel conditioner.

7. RSG

RSG Full Access Member

The idea here is that diesel sitting around is a soup for microbes. More of a concern than gelling in storage unless you expect to suddenly need to start it when it's gelled. But the microbes create slime, and that makes all sorts of problems. That, in my opinion, is the greater issue here...