Question Strange Leak

jpsmith

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I noticed an oil leak blown up on the underside of the hood just overtop of the Oil FIlter. But the leak actually looks as though it is coming from the V-Band Clamp just in front of the Fuel Filter and blowing back. I also found another leak from the Lower V-Band Clamp at the input of the Inter-cooler. So, could I have an internal Turbo Leak blowing oil through the intake system? Just past 7,700 miles. Maybe a bad oil seal in the Turbo from sitting a lot before I bought it. I wiped it all down and will keep a check on it. I did notice the old oil had a green tinge to it, possibly dye from chasing a previous leak. Ideas? :dunno Jim

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would guess that you are probably on the mark as far as the V-bands go. They can get loose and leak oil and AIR. Tighten up the bands. This should stop the leaks.

Dave :)

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I very much doubt it's a turbo seal leaking..
that would likely happen when the odometer reading you gave is preceded by "200"
oil filter O-ring would be most likely culprit..

jpsmith

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
9/16" rag and it's fixed

SO, I wiped everthing down with a rag. It appears that the leak was, indeed, coming from the intake clamp. In my reading, the Turbine Manual states that it is normal for the intake system to suck up some oil from the PVC valve and blow it out at a leaking joint. I also tightened the clamp to spec too. No more leaks.

Any idea what the touque spec is on the Turbine intake clamps... the ones on the blue flex couplings. The one on the intake is marked 12nm. Could not find a spec. for the others. Thanks for your inputs, Jim

Last edited:

tony4380

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
...yea, ive heard of stories from guys on this site that stated upon removing the intercooler, they were able to pour anywhere from 1 to 3 quarts of oil out of the intercooler. im sure mine is the same way because my couplers are soaked in oil.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14