Strange new problem..

drchris1024

SDD Security
Reaction score
Strange new problem..UPDATED

I have been online in diesel forums for well over 2 years now, and have not read of this happening to anyone.... as I am riding down the road (all different speeds) and I hit an uneven bump in the road (i.e. going over a bridge) but not all bumps, I will get a loud very noticeable vibration similar to running over speed strips or running off on the shoulder. The noise and vibration will last usually 10 to 20 seconds and them return to smooth sailing like nothing happened. :dunno also applying the brakes during the vibration does nothing at all to disrupt noise or vibration..

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Thats a good one:dunno? Have you been under the vehicle and checked out the drive train real well? Fluid levels in both differentials, u-joints and hanger bearings etc etc.......

drchris1024

SDD Security
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Thats a good one:dunno? Have you been under the vehicle and checked out the drive train real well? Fluid levels in both differentials, u-joints and hanger bearings etc etc.......

I took it to my brake and alignment buddy and he did a once over everything nut and bolt wise, and said he didn't find anything. I had my driveshaft balanced about 5 months ago. I have not checked fluid levels yet. I guess that is a start, a friend also recommended checked the hubs, I don't use 4 wheel drive hardly ever, he said to let it cycle a few times in and out.

Last edited:

Fireman

Resident Of Hicktown
Reaction score
Something like that happened to me once. Found out it was a small divot in drive shaft that kept catching. Some grease and the problem has went away. Not sure if that helps. Shop guys told me it had to do with 4X4. I dunno??

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
The same thing happened to my dad. It turned out it was the front axle, like carrier bearing, and seal. He also had to have the hubs replaced.

drchris1024

SDD Security
Reaction score
UPDATE >>>>

Got Diesel said:
The same thing happened to my dad. It turned out it was the front axle, like carrier bearing, and seal. He also had to have the hubs replaced.

:thanks that is what i will be looking at next......Update on the vibe..the more attention i been paying to the vibration, it also will stop after hitting an uneven spot in the road, the vibration continues whether in drive or nuetral, on or off the pedal.

so into the shop we go...........

drchris1024

SDD Security
Reaction score
updated

Well i found out the needle bearings in the front left hub had gone bad, my buddy said that he had never seen'm go bad before:confused: . they are not greaseable. when they went they grooved the shaft it surrounds and the shaft had a good bit of play in it. sooooooooo...new hub bearings, needle bearings, and half shaft, $$$$$ and i pick it up today.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58