Strong diesel smell in cab!

2001Stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been noticing a strong diesel smell in the cab of my truck. I think it is getting worse. Any ideas what it might be? I hope it is something I can fix myself. Also noticing more and more oil in the driveway. It started out as a spot as big as a quarter but lately it is about the size of baseball. Any ideas?:dunno

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
my first EASY button geuss would be the return fuel line connection at the fuel filter

its just a small rubber thingy that likes to leak

then your filter lid
if its leaking it will run down the valley out the back and clean the engine as it goes and make a nice dirty spot on the ground.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I've heard of a few cracked spin-on filter covers and even a few cracked filter housings.

Check the filter drain tube. If it's leaking there, you'll likely need new o-rings for the yellow bowl drain valve.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Another vote for the smell issue being o-rings in the filter drain. Easy thing to fix. Check out Blackcloud diesel, they have an o-ring kit for cheap.

Next, the oil leak thing is a little nebulous. Where is it coming from? There are half a million different places it could be leaking, some direction as to where it is coming from would be helpful. The most common leaks are as follows:

1.) Turbo pedestal - Leaks behind the engine, around the tranny bellhousing and drips down about where the tranny and engine bolt together. Look slike a rear main leak, but it isn't.

2.) HPO lines - Same results as the pedestal

3.) Rear main seal - Leaks directly from the engine to tranny connection, but not above in the engine valley.

Beyond that, there are more options, but those are first and foremost.

2001Stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoss 350 said:
Another vote for the smell issue being o-rings in the filter drain. Easy thing to fix. Check out Blackcloud diesel, they have an o-ring kit for cheap.

Next, the oil leak thing is a little nebulous. Where is it coming from? There are half a million different places it could be leaking, some direction as to where it is coming from would be helpful. The most common leaks are as follows:

1.) Turbo pedestal - Leaks behind the engine, around the tranny bellhousing and drips down about where the tranny and engine bolt together. Look slike a rear main leak, but it isn't.

2.) HPO lines - Same results as the pedestal

3.) Rear main seal - Leaks directly from the engine to tranny connection, but not above in the engine valley.

Beyond that, there are more options, but those are first and foremost.

It is definately leaking out the bottom where the tranny and engine bolt together. I am going to take it to my mechanic tomorrow and get him to tell me where it is coming from so I can get it fixed. Thanks for the input. I will tell him these suggestions.:thumbs

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Hoss 350 said:

A related thing to check for: EBPV actuator leak.

SDEric

Here's my pride!
Reaction score
I envy the fact that you can smell it in the cab! :D
Good luck!

Mayo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've been having the same smell problem and a drip from where the trans meets the block. Make sure your leak there is oil and not fuel. At first I thought it was oil too but mine's fuel. Its leaking into the valley from somwhere around the fuel filter. Still not 100% sure where its coming from but its nice outside today so I'm gonna check it out and see what I find.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I would bet the oil on the driveway is actually the same stuff that you are smelling - Diesel. When Diesel runs out the valley and down the engine to the ground it looks like oil. I would bet a donut that you need new o-rings in the fuel filter drain valve. The driveway would clean up and the smell would go away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58