Question Surge in my Turbo?

RJDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed recently when towing up hills that I hear a loud noise and a high pitched noise from my engine, (I had asked in a previous post about a fan kicking on to cool things down but I believe It is the turbo and not the fan kicking on). Is it possible this could be a turbo surge? When I get out of the throttle it goes away and then back when I get back on the throttle. Could it not be getting enough air or enough cool air and it spools up? Don't have to much knowledge about the turbo and how it operates. Thanks

Last edited:

2 Stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed recently when towing up hills that I hear a loud noise and a high pitched noise from my engine, (I had asked in a previous post about a fan kicking on to cool things down but I believe It is the turbo and not the fan kicking on). Is it possible this could be a turbo surge? When I get out of the throttle it goes away and then back when I get back on the throttle. Could it not be getting enough air or enough cool air and it spools up? Don't have to much knowledge about the turbo and how it operates. Thanks
You may check your boots the one up top left it may be blue check the back side may have a crack in it, if the boot comes off under boost you will know it. it will sound like a bomb went off and O boost dead in the water. I just got a new set had to take out a bank loan:eek:
http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=628
2003-2007 6.0L Turbo Outlet Angled Replacement Boot
Product Part #: DSB6TO
(Qty: 1 x $131.00)
Dieselsite Turbo Hose Retaining Ring - 6.0L Turbo Outlet Hose - 2.5" ID Hose
Product Part #: BR25
(Qty: 1 x $8.50)
2004.5-2007 6.0L DIESELSITE Intercooler Boot Kit
Product Part #: DSIBK6
(Qty: 1 x $78.00)
or it could be the unison ring in the turbo may be rusted or frozen may need to clean also you need to run cetane boost in the fuel to keep the egr valve and turbo clean and working and once a week drive it like you stole it
Cleaning the turbo
DTS Articles - Turbocharger Reconditioning
Cetane boost
YouTube - ‪Motorcraft Cetane Boost Video 6.0 & 6.4 Power Stroke EGR Related‬‏
This may help:dunno
2 stroker

RJDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question Surge in my Turbo?

Thanks 2 Stroker, I dont believe it is the boot (I know what that sounds like and costs:() I run Motorcraft Cetane boost in every tankfull and have been since I bought it three years ago. The drive it like you stole it, I should do that because the truck will sit during the week as I have a company truck. I have just recently looked at the EGR valve and replaced the O-Rings and gasket (No build up on the EGR Valve). I only really notice it when I am reaching the top of a big hill when towing my trailer.....Is it possible that the turbo is starving for air and maybe I am into the throttle to much? I am learning that towing with a diesel is a little different than towing with a Gaser. Thanks for your help

2 Stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you pull a TT or 5er if you do not have gauges you NEED them, heat is the number 1 killer of these motors. You need to know the difference in EOT-ECT max 15* need a coolant filter to remove casting sand a coolant flush to remove the Ford Gold cxxp coolant that kills these motors. Need a fuel pressure gauge because under 45lbs at WOT will kill the injectors and a pyro when you are pulling anything past 1350* for a period of time you can have a melt down pistons-turbo. Mine with 17k on it had a fuel pressure of 50lbs at idle and 44lbs at WOT installed the New Reg Kit now idle 62lbs and 58lbs at WOT so your problem may be the fan kicking in at the end of your pull just remember the gauges on the dash only move when it is 2 late after a melt down need something like EDGE 83830 Insight CTS (Fits 1996 and Newer OBDII-Enabled Vehicles) or ScanGaugeII - Trip Computers + Digital Gauges + Scan Tool, the boost gauge is real close. Hope this helps:dunno
2 stroker

RJDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question Surge in my Turbo?

Thanks 2 Stroker the information is great, what is your feeling on the Scangauge II? It fits my budget a little better these days and I would also add a EGT gauge. You think a low fuel psi could be trigging a fan in the turbo to kick in on long hauls? Thanks again the best thing I ever did was joining this forum after I bought my truck......I learned alot and continue to learn!!:)....One more thing do you think if I upgrade the regulator spring and install new banjo bolts I will eliminate the issue I have on the bigger hills? I read on another post about the spring and banjo bolts. Thanks

Last edited:

2 Stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks 2 Stroker the information is great, what is your feeling on the Scangauge II? It fits my budget a little better these days and I would also add a EGT gauge. You think a low fuel psi could be trigging a fan in the turbo to kick in on long hauls? Thanks again the best thing I ever did was joining this forum after I bought my truck......I learned alot and continue to learn!!:)....One more thing do you think if I upgrade the regulator spring and install new banjo bolts I will eliminate the issue I have on the bigger hills? I read on another post about the spring and banjo bolts. Thanks
This is why i keep saying you need gauges and YES the Scangauge II will do the job and do it well. What you hear i think is the fan coming on thats good mine comes on around 214* the stock t/stat starts to open at 192.2* and is fully open at 219.2* the fuel pressure spring now i would get a fuel pressure gauge to see if you need the spring some do and some don't, i did and as far as the banjo bolts i think you only need them if you go for HP and the stock air intake is as good as they come, good to 500HP. Hope this helps'
2 stroker

RJDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gauges Installed

Installed the ScanGauge II and my EGT gauge, so far my ECT and EOT are around 4 to 5 degrees apart but I have not done any towing yet (Trip planned for the weekend). 2 Stroker you are dead on when It comes to the gauges. Thanks again.:hail

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58