Question Surging at low throttle

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck started surging at low throttle at about the same time I switched to synthetic. I noticed it while sitting in traffic while I was trying to maintain 10-15 mph. The engine has many noticeable hiccups that dont seem to occur with any regularity. The surge does clear up with increased throttle?

I havent changed my fuel filter in about 20k miles so I am going to start there. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
My truck started surging at low throttle at about the same time I switched to synthetic. I noticed it while sitting in traffic while I was trying to maintain 10-15 mph. The engine has many noticeable hiccups that dont seem to occur with any regularity. The surge does clear up with increased throttle?

I havent changed my fuel filter in about 20k miles so I am going to start there. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

If I were to take a stab at it, I'd guess ICP or IPR. If it started at the same time you switched to synthetic oil, I'd start looking at things related to the oil system or HPOP system.

I was having an issue with the engine power falling off when the engine was still cool/ warming up. It would loose power somewhat and the sound of the engine changed. I took a stab that the IPR was sticking and changed it. The problem went away.

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like it might be the IPR then. It only has the stumble when the engine is cold or cool. It runs fine when it is warmed up.

Next question, what is the IPR? What does it do? Where is it located? How do I go about replacing it?

Thanks

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
It sounds like it might be the IPR then. It only has the stumble when the engine is cold or cool. It runs fine when it is warmed up.

Next question, what is the IPR? What does it do? Where is it located? How do I go about replacing it?

Thanks

IPR is the Injector Pressure Regulator. It is located on the HPOP at the forward end of the engine valley, sort of underneath the fuel filter housing.
View attachment 9988

It is basically a solenoid actuated relief valve that controls the amount of HPOP output pressure by variing the amount of oil pressure being relieved.

It is removed by 1st disconnecting the solenoid wire connector and then removing the sheet metal nut. The solenoid will then slide off the IPR shaft towards the rear. Then you need to remove the IPR body from the HPOP. But be advised, once you do that, oil will come out of the HPOP reservoir at a rate great enough to make a big mess. You can either try to suck the oil out thru the little filler port at the top of the HPOP reservoir or catch as much oil as you can with rags. You will need a deep well socket to get the IPR out. I don't know what size. But what I used is the same socket I use to get the front axle shaft nut off a front wheel drive GM. It's a bit deeper than a regular deep well socket, which you'll need to clear the IPR shaft. When you re-install the IPR, you will need to refill the oil in the HPOP reservoir. There is a small filler plug with a allen wrench slot atop the HPOP reservoir where you do the refilling.

The IPR is replaceable as a unit, or rebuildable with a service kit available from a lot of places Ford, IH or many of the sponsoring vendors around here.

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
do you have to remove the fuel filter housing to get to it or can you do it with it on there? Looks like its in a pretty tight spot.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW ? Starting out with changing that.. 20K miles on it.. fuel filter is a REAL good idea..:hail

See whatcha get after that ?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Changing the IPR is do-able without removing the fuel filter housing. It's tight, but do-able.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64