Synthetic Oil too slick

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went into Napa the other day and picked up an oil filter. I got talking to the guy behind the counter. I told him I use Royal Purple and change the filter every 5000 miles (oil every 15,000 miles). He explained to me that synthetic oil was "too slick" for the 6.0 and doesn't lubricate the fuel injection pump properly. Then he started talking about how the cab has to be pulled off the chassis just to do anything to the engine, such as change out the fuel pump. I just smiled, nodded and left thinking that's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard and I knew he was confusing my truck with the newer generation trucks with the 6.4. Considering oil is designed to reduce friction I don't understand how it could be too slick.

Anyone else ever heard of synthetic oil being "too slick" to lubricate properly?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have heard it is too slick for break-in. But some newer cars come with synthetic oil form the factory. So no it is not too slick. Your parts guy is too slick!

Dave

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run syn but still change at 5k
too slick lol

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he stepped in some Syn. oil.. Fell'n hit his head.

Tooo Slick.. Jezz

Gota watch those Parts Guyz, and what they say sometimez. :watchout

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought but figured I'd give you guys a laugh while verifying my thoughts. I guess if you use synthetic oil you need to add a little sand so it lubricates properly. LOL

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I went into Napa the other day and picked up an oil filter. I got talking to the guy behind the counter. I told him I use Royal Purple and change the filter every 5000 miles (oil every 15,000 miles). He explained to me that synthetic oil was "too slick" for the 6.0 and doesn't lubricate the fuel injection pump properly. Then he started talking about how the cab has to be pulled off the chassis just to do anything to the engine, such as change out the fuel pump. I just smiled, nodded and left thinking that's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard and I knew he was confusing my truck with the newer generation trucks with the 6.4. Considering oil is designed to reduce friction I don't understand how it could be too slick.

Anyone else ever heard of synthetic oil being "too slick" to lubricate properly?

I copy/pasted this thread to the NAPA's corporate office in Georgia.
We'll see how slick that counter guy is..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64