T-304 vs. T-409

X-Hibition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this issue has been put to bed, my apologies.

I have read quite a bit about exhaust systems and something I couldn't reconcile was the difference between T-409 and T-304 Stainless Steel.

I like the MBRP exhaust system because of its different options, you can use or delete the cat and/or the muffler. You don't have to modify the cat to use it. But what I can't understand is why the heartier material (T-409) doesn't have as good a warranty as the T-304. T-304 is shiny and pretty but doesn't seem to have the goods. I quote Gale Banks off of his site...

"What grade of stainless steel does Banks use in its exhaust systems, and why?
There are two primary categories of stainless steel tubing used in automotive exhaust systems: 300 series and 400 series. 400 series stainless is commonly used by Banks for exhaust and manifold applications primarily because it handles heat cycling better than the 300 series. 300 series stainless becomes brittle after constant heating and cooling (which is exactly what an exhaust system does) especially in areas that incorporate welds. The issue of heat cycling is of great importance, especially in a heavy-duty application that will endure greater levels of heat than other automotive applications. Not only is 300 series stainless a poorer choice for exhaust systems, it is also more expensive and would unnecessarily increase the price of an exhaust system. 400 series stainless is not as pretty as 300 series and will have a brownish hue to it, due to the fact that it has a higher carbon content than 300 series. This means the 300 series stainless will polish up better for appearance. The carbon content in 400 series also makes it magnetic, unlike 300 series, which is a simple test to determine which series you’re dealing with. Fortunately, 400 series will handle temperatures of up to 2000 degrees without any deterioration, making it very suitable for use in exhaust systems. We use 400-series, specifically 409, for our entire exhaust systems, except the polished tip which is polished 304. That's the part that you want to look good!"

So does anyone have an opinion as to what material is better? Thank you.

oi8228oi

another 99
Reaction score
OB NJ, land of traffic, stop lights, stop signs, a
304 wont rust as quickly.... 409 is easier to bend and form from what i hear.. but for the quality that last nothing beats 304....if you look at 409 exhaust pipes after about 5 years next to 304 its almost night and day......

i cant remember who it was but someone had banks monster exhaust (409) and had just recently taken it off due to the fact that it didnt last.....

here it is http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5152

im sure you can PM kent and ask to see pics...

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
X-Hibition,

MBRP offers both types of stainless as there are different types of owners that want different levels of quality etc. The 409 is what the OEM manufacturers use on virtually all exhaust systems over the last 5-10 years. They have to warranty anything for 100,000 miles that is north of the converter, so they want to make sure they don't have to replace anything 99% of the time. 304 has a higher nickel and chromium contetn and is non magnetic whicle 409 is magnetic. The 304 costs more due to the composition, it will stay shiney and look great for years! 409 will "brown-out" and get spots on it, yet it will not perforate fast at all! Everybody uses 304 for tips as they have to be polished and stay polished etc.

The deal with Banks has been explained by the other guys very well, better than I can do and not get in trouble anyway etc. By the way ask any NASCAR, F1, Cart or Superbike teams what their headers are made of??? 304 is the material and those guys don't have to worry about cost at alllllll!!! All they worry about is parts failure, makes you wonder???

Mark @ DPPI

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14