TDC FAULT

jlh

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been reading for a long time, but this is my first post. I have searched but can't find anything on this. My father-in-law has a 2005 F350 6.0, six speed with about 120,000 miles. Recently it has started beeping and displaying on the dash "TDC FAULT". It does this at start-up and intermittently while driving. He has taken it to a local mechanic who checked for codes but he couldn't find any (even while this was happening). Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks in advance for the replies, and this is a great place for info, lots of smart people.

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe he has a TBC fault, and I only say this because found your thread searching for the solution myself. It is a Trailor Break Fault. i have the exact same truck (except mines auto) and I believe all the 350's came with factory trailor brake setups. Mine started doing this about a week after i pulled a trailor for the first time, when there is no trailor hooked up. I would be driving down the road and all of a sudden the light would come on. Now when I put a trailor the TBC fault light comes on right away.

According to the manual you can take it to the ford dealer and they can fix it or clear the code. My programmer did not pick up a code either, but I dont know if programmers will pick up that kind of code anyway.

Anyone for any tips for us?

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably a loose connection. For it to be intermittent like that, about the only thing that can cause that is a loose connector, or a wire in the harness going to ground on a bolt or something. Not an easy thing to chase down, but do the connectors first, it's the easiest if you're out of warranty.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
A standard OBDII scanner won't pick up any codes for that, you will need something better like Autoenginuity.

the_hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tbc Fault

I had this happen also. I took it to Ford and they found a loose connection which would short out in the trailer brake connector. It has been fixed and no more problems in 40,000 km.

Cheers

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am pretty sure mine has something to do with a loose wire. When i was driving around an hour ago, the light was going on and off very speradically.

Anyone have a diagram for this wiring so I know where all the connections are?

the_hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
more TBC woes

So,

I had the TBC Fault error show up about 20k km ago. Took it to the dealer, and they couldnt find anything wrong. They reset the code and it has not come back since.

I had someone elses trailer and the Brake Controller couldn't find the trailer. Took it in, they said it was a loose wire, fixed it. Now the Brake controller works.

Now, The trailer lighting keeps popping fuses. This is with my brand new Big Tex 18ft flat deck. There are two separate fuses that blow, the one under the hood, which controls the turn signals. And the one in the cab which controls the brake / parking lights.

I have taken the connection apart at the hitch on the truck, and there is no corrosion, or discolouring which would indicate a short.

My truck now has 60k km on it and is out of warranty, so If anyone else has had problems with their trailer wiring please let me know. I do not want to pay a tech to go through the entire harness looking for a short, and If I could do this myself that would be great. So if anyone has a wiring diagram for this system that would be most helpful.

FYI my truck has the factory tow setup installed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58