Tensioner

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Under the hood today doing fuel filter and screen cleaning I noticed my tensioner pulley seems to be rather askew and not lined up with the other pulleys.

How difficult is this to fix?

Is it a Ford only part?

Any and all help is deeply appreciated

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a common problem. I got mine at Ford and it is pricey. I've heard of folks getting them at AutoZone and other FLAPS, so you might try there first. One of the fixes for the problem (aside from just replacing it with same) is to go to the dual-wheeled tensioner. It takes a tiny bit of modification, but is not too difficult. If I can find the writeup or link to it, I'll post it (unless someone else beats me to it). Cheers!

Added in edit: Here's the information on the dual-wheeled tensioner: "TSB 98-23-14"

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's a bearing that's worn I have read of several people replacing just the bearings in them and having pretty good luck cost under 5 and they were all set to go and napa even has the bearings usually in stock but unfortunately I don't have the part number handy.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Patrick Feeley said:
One of the fixes for the problem (aside from just replacing it with same) is to go to the dual-wheeled tensioner.
You might check into the dual-tensioner mod before doing it. I seem to recall some guys a while back that had did the mod were having trouble eating belts. I don't remember what the final decision on why they were going through belts was but last I heard they were not sure. With the loss of the search function on the latest archives over at TDS I am not real sure how to find the information. I know the posts about it were in the time frame of the lost material.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14