This is Gonna Hurt!

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for the inevitable deep-dive on my '05 6.0L. Thought this only happens to other people. :lmao

Recently started billowing white smoke off and on. Figured it was the EGR cooler finally giving up or an injector leaking down. Turns out I have all sorts of classic 6.0 issues. First, I had two bad injectors (3 & 6) causing the smoke, one likely leaking down with a cracked tip. Second, my EGR cooler has been starting to lose coolant and is getting ready to burst. I was just getting ready to replace both the oil and EGR cooler (EOT/ECT delta is typically 10-12 degrees) when the injectors bailed. Then they tell me my head gaskets are starting to leak and my turbo unison ring is worn and starting to stick. Planning to do the following:

- ARP head studs
- OEM head gaskets
- OEM STC fitting upgrade
- OEM upgraded oil standpipes and oil rail dummy plugs
- OEM oil cooler
- Bulletproof Diesel EGR cooler (thought about delete, but didn't want to buy a tuner to kill CEL)
- OEM reman injectors (8)
- Garrett stock turbo
- OEM HFCM upgraded water separator drain
- also thinking about flushing coolant and switching to CAT EC-1 rated ELC coolant
- good time to replace the thermostat, drive belt, fuel filters, oil/filter, coolant filter, check hoses, etc

Anyone think of anything I'm missing (except a lot of dollars) while in this deep? Was going to tackle the EGR, oil cooler and injectors myself to save the labor but the head gasket took me out of the game. Dealer labor estimate about $3500 and more than that in parts. Dealer seems receptive to me getting my own parts as this dealer charges full list price. After several hours of research I was able to save about $2K over what the dealer quoted when getting my parts list together and I'm looking at OEM parts or better. Still planning to check out a couple other local shops before pulling the trigger and buying all the parts. Not sure how receptive shops are in general to customers providing most the parts. Like I said, this is going to hurt!

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parts list looks good from what I see, hope you don't have a head that's cracked, be sure to get them checked
out and make sure there not warped. Go ahead while it's apart and do a good R&R of the heads. Yes check
around at a few other shops for price. Some of the others may charge a little less on labor.
Doug

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Just a minor point. If you in fact source your own parts and have the dealer install them, and then have a problem or failure down the road, they could possibly point at your parts, leaving you on the hook for additional needed repairs. Markup on parts helps cover warranty issues. I would suggest finding an independent shop with a good reputation, may save you some money in the end.

Full disclosure- I run my own shop in the Ag equipment sector. If I made a habit of installing customers parts, I would go broke in a hurry. I will do it in special cases, but otherwise generally not. I know what products I am comfortable with and am willing to stand behind.

Good luck on your repairs :sweet

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Both good points. My plan is to check out a shop or two and tell them what I want done and with which brands of parts and then see if they can get me a reasonable labor + parts final price I can live with. If so, I'll let them do the whole thing so they maintain the overall responsibility for the work and parts. From the shopping list I asked for from the dealer, I was able to get the exact same parts for about $1900 less because of the parts mark up. To me that just seems insane. That's also part of the reason I was sticking to Ford OEM parts with the exception of the ARP studs and Bulletproof Diesel EGR cooler. We'll see where this goes in the next few days. Thanks for the suggestions!

Roy - Part of my work responsibilities is as a warranty manager for the products we produce and parts mark-ups can vary greatly from one dealership to the next (heavy truck and construction equipment). Hadn't really thought about it from the other side and being needed to cover parts warranty problems. Just figured they made a lot of their profit on parts sales. Thanks for the insight! :)

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dorman also sells EGR coolers check with your local auto store for the weld end cooler here the part number Dorman 904-260

http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?ssq=Dorman+EGR+Cooler&page=2

a 2003-2004 Ford F350 Super Duty EGR Cooler - Dorman 904-260

Dorman 904-260 Click to Enlarge

Sale Price: $196.23
with FREE Shipping

Select Year 2003 2004

(4) In Stock

Availability: (4) In Stock

Condition: New

Shipping Options: Free Ground Shipping

Part Number: 904-260

Brand: Dorman

Notes: EGR Cooler -- To Engine Serial No. 6155636 (Indy Plant) or To Engine Serial No. 94580 (Huntsville Plant); Cooler Kit

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Garrett makes a replacement turbo called power max. Basically same as stock but with improvements. About same price as stock one. I'm waiting for someone to test one out for me because i've been having a few sticking problems with mine.

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garrett makes a replacement turbo called power max. Basically same as stock but with improvements. About same price as stock one. I'm waiting for someone to test one out for me because i've been having a few sticking problems with mine.

Saw those, was wondering what the diff was. Everything on hold for the moment. With this much money on the line I'm getting a second opinion this week from a non-dealer shop./

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck, on getting all of the work done, I bet there is someone near you that can do it for less.
Doug

SDChris

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I agree with Roy I would stick with the parts the shop is dealing with at the time, with the exception of the studs and the EGR cooler, for warranty purposes. As far as the shop you choose in my experience the cheapest shop isn't always the best one, if it were me I would spend a little more in labor to get the best mechanic with experience, when it comes to a major build like this. Just a thought.

2008 F250 ext cab 4x4

azbb17

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Results?

Did u get it checked out elsewhere? Did it need the EGR cooler and headgaskets or just EGR cooler? What was best price you found?

Thanks

Time for the inevitable deep-dive on my '05 6.0L. Thought this only happens to other people. :lmao

Recently started billowing white smoke off and on. Figured it was the EGR cooler finally giving up or an injector leaking down. Turns out I have all sorts of classic 6.0 issues. First, I had two bad injectors (3 & 6) causing the smoke, one likely leaking down with a cracked tip. Second, my EGR cooler has been starting to lose coolant and is getting ready to burst. I was just getting ready to replace both the oil and EGR cooler (EOT/ECT delta is typically 10-12 degrees) when the injectors bailed. Then they tell me my head gaskets are starting to leak and my turbo unison ring is worn and starting to stick. Planning to do the following:

- ARP head studs
- OEM head gaskets
- OEM STC fitting upgrade
- OEM upgraded oil standpipes and oil rail dummy plugs
- OEM oil cooler
- Bulletproof Diesel EGR cooler (thought about delete, but didn't want to buy a tuner to kill CEL)
- OEM reman injectors (8)
- Garrett stock turbo
- OEM HFCM upgraded water separator drain
- also thinking about flushing coolant and switching to CAT EC-1 rated ELC coolant
- good time to replace the thermostat, drive belt, fuel filters, oil/filter, coolant filter, check hoses, etc

Anyone think of anything I'm missing (except a lot of dollars) while in this deep? Was going to tackle the EGR, oil cooler and injectors myself to save the labor but the head gasket took me out of the game. Dealer labor estimate about $3500 and more than that in parts. Dealer seems receptive to me getting my own parts as this dealer charges full list price. After several hours of research I was able to save about $2K over what the dealer quoted when getting my parts list together and I'm looking at OEM parts or better. Still planning to check out a couple other local shops before pulling the trigger and buying all the parts. Not sure how receptive shops are in general to customers providing most the parts. Like I said, this is going to hurt!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58