Question This looks potentially bad.

txstate50

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I think I attached the photo correctly. Can anybody tell me if this is something that need immediate attention? its a rubber seal that has slipped out on both sides. I'm not a mechanic but do repair weekend warrior tasks with proper instrucions.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Not a major problem. My truck puked that dust seal. Keep an eye on it for oil leaking out. If you see no oil, you are good. Oil = bad Oil Seal in the axle tube and needs to be replaced.

Dave

txstate50

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yea its has oil behind the seal

The other side is completely dry. If I stick my finger in there I get either Oil or grease its more consistant with old black engine oil. The wet looking area you see in the photo actually radiates from the tube as if its coming out of there. Is this too complicated of a fix for a novice with no major tools?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The dust seal, the outside seal, is not hard to put back or change. It is a bunch wrenching to get the axle out so you can hammer it back in. The oil you are seeing is out of the axle housing and it is just weeping and not flowing. You might check the oil level in the front end by pulling the plug out (the one about 1/3rd of the way up from the bottom) and stick your finger in the hole. You should find the oil level very close to the plug.

Dave

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine has done the same thing. It is not leaking at all. I will fix it someday........

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I just did that job on my gf's 99 250. That particular seal is easy. Its the axle seal on the hub thats a pain. We replaced the axle seal but noticed it didnt even have a dust seal on the axle tube. It hasnt had one in yrs cause the area where the seal goes was all rusty and dirty. Luckily there was no oil comin out the axle tube. So popped in a new seal, and slapped her back together. So far no probs. Since yer there if you have to replace that seal, check yer hub axle seal, the huge one on steroids and the wheel bearings. The outside needle bearing on her truck was bad where the snub shaft pops through. Luckily you can just buy that needle bearing instead of gettn the WHOLE hub unit bearing assembly which is very pricey.

txstate50

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanx

Thanks for all the replies I'll check oil level this weekend to make sure its good and then I will let it ride till somethin pops!

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't go out of my way to R&R that seal until your replacing ball joints or wheel bearing. Its a dust seal and not a oil seal. Even if the oil seal is leaking its easier to add fluid twice a year than it is doing all that wrenching.

Like I said.......wait until your replacing ball joints or a wheel bearings to go after that one.

Tbar

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford updated the dust seal ,, it now locates in the end of the axle tube

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64