Question Thoughts on headlights?

cpadolf3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2001 F250 7.3 has the original headlights on it, and after 226k miles, it's time for a change. The projection is horrible, and actually a hazard when driving through the forest roads at night. I already have the 07 front grille and bumper on it, so it would make sense to follow that path and change the lights to the 05-07 style lights. They are readily available on eBay for 100-150 dollars, but I know you get what you pay for most of the time. The set I have my eye on are smoked lenses with 8000k HID bulbs for about $130. Does anyone have any experience with the light quality/durability/lens leakage/etc? I'm trying to save every penny I can right now for mechanical upgrades, but this is more of a safety thing than anything. Are there any other superior brands out there that could be even close to competitive with the eBay prices?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What 79jasper said.

If you go to Smokey.. yul loose the Light.

I went with Clear lenses, with a Black Matt inter body.. Projector lenses with SilverStar bulbs. Plenty of illumination.

"Halo's" around the headlights.. and LED DRL's too.

Granted.. this is on an 012... but if you look around... I'd bet you find something for your 001 ?

Joe

(I'm a Amazon.com fan)

cpadolf3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of super dark lenses, because I can absolutely see where they will lessen the amount of light. The ones I saw are more like the Harley Davidson style ones, with a very, very light gray smoke over it. It shouldn't effect projection at all. I'm not a big fan of the halo lights either. I feel like everyone who changes their headlights in my town switches to halos. I'm not looking to make the truck some custom head turner, but I'd like to make it different than everyone else's. The HID lights are not projectors in this case. Just a traditional housing and lens with a supposedly brighter bulb. More than anything, I want to change the lenses to dress up the truck. The fogged ones on it now look terrible, and I've always been a fan of the white lights. I suppose I could just buy some inexpensive 07 lenses and use a light bar for night driving instead.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

E.Marquez

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just installed some 2006 headlight composite assemblies on my 2003 F350. The install was easy and quick. I elected to hardwire in new light bulb pigtails vice using the available conversion adapters and adding yet another failure point and expense.
Right now using OEM type halogen bulbs while waiting on my H13 type LEDs.
The truck also just came back from the body shop after being stolen and recovered, fresh paint, new refurbished bumper, and the new headlights is an amazing update and fresh look for this truck.
Have all new LED "bulbs" ready to go in to parking, turn signal , side marker position as well as asoon as my LED H13 get here.

Light output to the road is better as expected over the cloudy OEM housings.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plan on adding load resistors with all those leds.
Pics of your headlights may help the op make a decision.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

E.Marquez

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score

Resistors only needed for lights that flash, so yes I have load resistors for the turn signals.

Or you can replace the flasher relay with one designed for use with LED as i do on Motorcycle builds. As space is not at a premium on the truck I'll do the easier and cheaper Resistor MOD.

I'll take pics later today and post, but reality is, it look like every other older PSD that has done this swap..

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct.
Figured you already knew, just making sure. Lol

E.Marquez

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score

headlight%20close%201_zpsfdspu56f.jpg

overall_zpsd8si463s.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58