Noob Time to learn my truck

Roadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happy thanksgiving. Out riding with my son and decided it was time to start learning my truck better. Stumbled on this site and figured i would start my education here. I bought a 2004 f250 6.0 lariat a few years back. It had 145k on the speedo when I bought her. I've only really used for turning into a cager when I can't ride my motorcycle due to ice, and hauling stuff every once in a while. I'd like to learn how to do my own maintenance as well as tackle what appears to be a rust problem. You see, the whole under carriage is riddled with rust. As well as metal inside the cab. I want to make this truck last for another 150k, so need to get smart now. Even my running boards are rusted. I've prices them for 300 bucks to replace so will be doing that soon. Hoping someone can give me some pointers. I am mechanically inclined as I do all my own bike maintenance. Small feat compared to this big girl though :)

1. Is there a video series I can use to learn every nut and bolt on the f250 diesel?

2. Whats the best shop manual?

3. How to treat the rust? Is there a paint that will stop it?

Don't mean to high jack my I intro with technical questions, hope that ok.

Will

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
:welcome4 Roadie. Not many, if any, videos out there for these trucks. The best manuals are the Ford ones at Service Manuals, Owner Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, Service Bulletins - Helm Incorporated but they are not cheap. First thing to do since you bought it used is to change all filters. There are two fuel filters, one oil filter and the air filter. Filter1 Home page is one good place to get filters. Never get a Fram or any other type of filter. Use only Ford filters. You can get the oil filters at Wal Mart for about $20.00 each. Get a good diesel oil in 5w40 or 15w40 weight. I run synthetic oil but you don't have to. Rotella is good oil as is Delo oil. It is getting cold where you live, so run 5w40 oil and your injectors will love you for it.

Dave :) :thumbs

Roadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:welcome4 Roadie. Not many, if any, videos out there for these trucks. The best manuals are the Ford ones at Service Manuals, Owner Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, Service Bulletins - Helm Incorporated but they are not cheap. First thing to do since you bought it used is to change all filters. There are two fuel filters, one oil filter and the air filter. Filter1 Home page is one good place to get filters. Never get a Fram or any other type of filter. Use only Ford filters. You can get the oil filters at Wal Mart for about $20.00 each. Get a good diesel oil in 5w40 or 15w40 weight. I run synthetic oil but you don't have to. Rotella is good oil as is Delo oil. It is getting cold where you live, so run 5w40 oil and your injectors will love you for it.

Dave :) :thumbs

That's funny, I just posted on another thread that I bought I should start with the filters! Thanks for the confirmation! Imma get to it ASAP.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Wix filters are as good as Motorcraft. They are one of the few companies that are. They also make Motorcraft filters, or have in the past.

Dave

dpantazis

Reaction score
Wix are NOT as good as Motorcraft. They make cheap crap like everyone else. Use known good filters and your truck will thaml you.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

dpantazis

Reaction score
Read what I wrote again. Because the box says Wix on it does not make it equal to OEM specs.

You can search for yourself on the quality of filtration, how they measure what they filter, materials of construction, quality of constriction. Most results are not equal to OEM.

Just because they are a corporate whore and contract manufacture filters for others does not mean that What you get in the box is the right thing. K&N makes good filters too, but would you run then on your truck?

Its you're truck, run what you want, but the only way you can be sure of running OEM is to use the OEM

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58