Tire Size Question

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Is there a common sized, narrow profile tire (highway/ better mpg) similar to a 235/85R16 but slighty taller in diameter?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
tg
on my 02 i replaced the 16's with a set of michellin atx's, they were about 1/2 wider and come in a wide array of aspect ratios and Overall height.

the bfg/michellin website will have you reading for days, lots of good stuff

flfd1218

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
you might try the 255/85/16. it measures out to be basically a 33x10x16 where the 235/85/16 is around a 31.5x9.5x16. so you gain a little bit. a friend of mine uses them on his f-350 dually instead of the stock 235s. he has a leveling kit on it but the change from a 235 to the 255 made a lot of difference in the look of the truck.

alltire

MN TIRE DUDE
Reaction score
common sized, narrow profile tire?
Nope, there's not a good option, and really you likely wouldn't want any taller tire without some more width. As your tire is taller, cornering is affected, and you wouldn't like the sponge feel that you'd get.
Either way there's not a common sized tire out there by anyone that will be taller without also going wider.
Keeping one thing in mind, different manufacturers use different bases to size there tires, and one manufacturers LT235/85R16 is not the same size/height as all the others. typically you won't find much over a 1/2" height difference though.
LT235/85R16 E 10 PR
Michelin LTX MS is 32" tall
BFG Mud terrain is 32" tall
Goodyear G614 RST is 30.7" tall

WOW 1.3" difference here, but I believe tread depth may be a portion of this (but shouldn't be).
I have LT295/75R16's on my '04 250 CC with just over 33" height, but fairly wide and mileage went down a hair.
GOOD LUCK.
Joe

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Nope, there's not a good option, and really you likely wouldn't want any taller tire without some more width. As your tire is taller, cornering is affected, and you wouldn't like the sponge feel that you'd get.
Either way there's not a common sized tire out there by anyone that will be taller without also going wider.
Keeping one thing in mind, different manufacturers use different bases to size there tires, and one manufacturers LT235/85R16 is not the same size/height as all the others. typically you won't find much over a 1/2" height difference though.
LT235/85R16 E 10 PR

WOW 1.3" difference here, but I believe tread depth may be a portion of this (but shouldn't be).
I have LT295/75R16's on my '04 250 CC with just over 33" height, but fairly wide and mileage went down a hair.
GOOD LUCK.
Joe

hey just FYI..
that Goodyear RST is not recommended for steer or drive applications. It's a trailer tire only. For all-position applications, you'd be looking at like a G947, or for a 4WD app, myabe a G933..
and yeah, the anti-skid depth on a G614 is shallower.. only 12/32 compared to 15-17 for Goodyear's other a/p or t/d applications

abitz

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
LT235/85R16 E 10 PR

GOOD LUCK.
Joe

hi whats the bigest tire I can put under my 2008 without lifting it with the stock 18" rim??

alltire

MN TIRE DUDE
Reaction score
I'll hope some of the 6.4 guys chime in, as I'm not sure about the independents('05 & up), not to mention the new trucks like yours.
I highly recommend going to your local tire outfitter, (not a chain store). Independent stores are going to sell you the correct application, and can play the bigger game. Most of the chains won't go anything but stock sizing. The busier the shop, the more likely that they're aware of the plus sizing options, and can get you a few options.

Anyone else with '08 info, please chime in

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64