Tire wear??

chainsaw5vent

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 06 E350 super duty 12 passenger 6.0. The tires Goodyear Wrangler PROGRADE 245/75-16 are wearing out in a strange fashion. With only 6,000 miles on them (MI to soCal, and roundtrip SoCal to Denver) I've noticed that the rear tires are noticeably shallower on tread depth.

This is my 1st diesel purchase and I'm curious. Is this normal? I know I need to rotate on a regular basis but this is much different than my 01 Chevy Express 15 passenger van where I don't even worry about rotation of the tires (245/75-16 highway all season tires) rotation.

Any thoughts ?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
This is sort of normal. You must drive with a heavy throttle foot. This will cause the rear tires to slip and wear out more than the front. I have seen it of several trucks I have owned. Keep your foot outa it and rotate the tires. You must have posi if they are both showing wear.

Dave :)

chainsaw5vent

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I wish I could say it was 'lead foot' related, but a lot of the miles (5,000) were done on two big trips ( Detroit to SoCal, and SoCal to Denver and back) using cruise control and 65-70 mph max speed with my family- no speed/power shows allowed with 5 VERY impressionable boys on board!!

I think I'll switchto a more freeway friendly tread pattern since I live in SoCal. :coffee

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 06 E350 super duty 12 passenger 6.0. The tires Goodyear Wrangler PROGRADE 245/75-16 are wearing out in a strange fashion. With only 6,000 miles on them (MI to soCal, and roundtrip SoCal to Denver) I've noticed that the rear tires are noticeably shallower on tread depth.

This is my 1st diesel purchase and I'm curious. Is this normal? I know I need to rotate on a regular basis but this is much different than my 01 Chevy Express 15 passenger van where I don't even worry about rotation of the tires (245/75-16 highway all season tires) rotation.

Any thoughts ?

FWIW ? I once got a fleet of 12 new E-350's, Cargo & Passenger models. From the git go it seemed, they burned up [REAR] tires. Happened to be following one, one day.. It was "Dog Tracking". (rear tires were not tracking true, with the fronts)

Cycled them all in to be checked.. 9 of the 12 were offset by as much as 4 inches, static/empty. (loaded, it can be even more)

THAT, in it's self.. will grind off tires.. Big Time.

You might want to have your Tracking checked ??

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58