Noob Tired of Duramax's

juiced46cobra

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to this site but not new to the sport of racing. I drag race mustangs but now I have come to the point where my tow rig is gettin beat up on and I have seen one too many sets of duramax taillights! :rant So here I am tryin to scrounge up some info to decide if I need to upgrade to a new 6.4 or dump some money in the old 7.3. Just for starters I have a 2001 F250 crew cab lariat with 130k on her. It has the following mods, afe cold air, 4' stainless mbrp exhaust, a predator tuner(I just bought a ts performance flip chip, haven't installed it yet), and a Banks transcommand. Any info you guys can help me out with would be awesome. Thanks again and the names Dave by the way

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
:SDD2 from one Dave to another!! I don't think a 7.3 will ever touch a Duramax and be reliable, but you can try... I would upgrade...

Dave

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Duramax

First off welcome to SDD. Second your going to have to make a choice, a 7.3L will out pull any Duramax on the road and it will do it longer too. But when tou get into diesel drag racing that's not the motor you want to use, they are designed to run strong, run reliable, forever. So it all comes down to which you want, race truck or tow rig. Stock T444E's will drag 30k lbs for over 400k if maintained and cared for, haven't seen a Duramax do that! It's your call new member but just remember your race car doesn't go on the street so why would your tow rig go on the track? Please take no offense.

juiced46cobra

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back guys. Just like you all have said I know you have to build your truck for one thing or another, but I am the guy who likes to push the envelope. I mean my 85 gt runs mid 9's on spray and I still take it out on the street and play around with a spool, and runnin 112 race fuel. So you can see I was just curious what people had been doin with their 7.3's. Its that age old question do I dump a bunch of money into an engine and tranny and all the supporting hardware. Or do I just buy a 6.4 or 6.7 and do bolt ons and be happy with 550 to 600hp at the wheels? My problem is I was always taught cubes are king and it seems like I am going backwards. :dizzy

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
First off welcome to SDD. Second your going to have to make a choice, a 7.3L will out pull any Duramax on the road and it will do it longer too. But when you get into diesel drag racing that's not the motor you want to use, they are designed to run strong, run reliable, forever. Please take no offense.

we gots a haulin motor , i would hate to say but also have to say do a 12 or 24v fummins swap, the poor ole durracrap wouldnt see it coming and sure would :cussing: you out. 7.3 is my fav motor for haulin and i know it last me my lifetime, but when best bang for the buck for racing as i have seen time and time again at the track and street, its cheaper to get more speed out of a cummins and why not have it in a awesome lookin truck like our superdutys &- its not like cheating , its just instead of a ford w/international its a ford w/cummins but thats me and i dont care to much for the newer sd looking front end, just my opinion

Last edited:

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
First off welcome to SDD. Second your going to have to make a choice, a 7.3L will out pull any Duramax on the road and it will do it longer too. But when tou get into diesel drag racing that's not the motor you want to use, they are designed to run strong, run reliable, forever. So it all comes down to which you want, race truck or tow rig. Stock T444E's will drag 30k lbs for over 400k if maintained and cared for, haven't seen a Duramax do that! It's your call new member but just remember your race car doesn't go on the street so why would your tow rig go on the track? Please take no offense.

Now just wait a minute theres is a guy on the diesel place forum that bought a new 05' duramax and pulled/ delivered trailers its whole life and when he traded it in it had 750k on it so......they are reliable too and they pull awesome, weak point on one is the torque convertor and the C3 clutch on the 05' and older any more then a 90 hp chip and you playing with fire! I should know cause I just put the stage 4 kit in my from suncoast and a triple disc convertor now I run a 250HP tune and its the wildest diesel I have ever driven and or rode in! hell its over 500 at the ground and runs right with a new camaro if not better if traction wasn't an issue! LOL cheers guys....BTW i loved my powerstroke too, I say ford builds the toughest pickup out there! :clap:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58