To buy or not to buy?

sjg142002

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just looking for opinions here - I am new to diesels but not new to trucks. I have always wanted a 94-97 model F250 or 350 diesel. I am thinking about buying a 1996 F250 7.3L with an auto trans. It is an extended cab, long bed with 4wd. The body is in great shape, no rust or damage. The motor and trans seem to function just fine. Motor sounds great compared to other diesels I have heard this age and there are no signs of any problems with the transmission.

My only issue is it has 300k miles. AND it most likely has the original transmission. It is a very reputable dealer selling it and they atleast provide a 1,000 mile warranty. They want 6k for it. (I only have 6k to spend right now) Reasonable?? Any tips on more things to check out before buying?

Thanks in advance!

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the oil pan for rust, if it rusts through you have to pull the engine to change it. Ask for a carfax, since the oasis reports only go back 10 years. And if serious about buying it, take it to a diesel mechanic if you are still unsure about anything. Good luck. BTW, I just sold my 97 x-cab lb 4x4 with 101,000 for $12,500. So $6000 seems like a fair deal.

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad has a 96 F250 2wd, it has 640,000 hard pulling miles on the factory injectors (could really use a re-build at this point), but it still goes strong after it wams up. I think the transmission has been rebuilt twice.

I'm a really big fan of the OBS truck....had a lot of good luck with ours.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I'd try to coax the dealer down sum. But if not 6k isnt bad but cheaper is better. Those motors can go over twice that. Hard to find a 7.3 with under 150k miles now a days. Good luck!

sjg142002

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks all!! It was helpful. I actually found the oil pan had recently been painted (like very recently)....and found a transmission problem so I ended up not buying the truck.

They had another one there with 350,000 miles with basically everything rebuilt that looked and ran great. Unfortunately they wanted $8k for that and I couldn't come up with the extra.

One day I will find one... HA.

Thanks again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14