Today is the last day...

Max Power

Reaction score
"As gasoline prices hover near record highs and the company's chairman outlines a greener future, the last Excursion will roll off Ford Motor Co.'s assembly line in Louisville today -- marking the end for the gas-guzzling behemoth of an SUV that, for many, came to symbolize Detroit's excesses."

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Of course, some left wing liberal SUV hating writer for a liberal publication wrote that piece of tripe. These types won't be satisfied until every last one of us is either riding a bicycle or driving a "hybrid wave of the future" car. Friends, there ain't no such animal. Hybrids run indirectly on fossil fuels. They need electricity generated by coal or oil to charge those beasts. And woe be to the driver and the first responders who have to extricate victims from a shattered hybrid car, the voltages from shattered battery packs, as well as the hazmat aspect, can KILL you! But HOORAY, we killed off the Ford Valdez! Let's go have a tofu burger and a bottled water from France.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rray32539 said:
Of course, some left wing liberal SUV hating writer for a liberal publication wrote that piece of tripe. These types won't be satisfied until every last one of us is either riding a bicycle or driving a "hybrid wave of the future" car. Friends, there ain't no such animal. Hybrids run indirectly on fossil fuels. They need electricity generated by coal or oil to charge those beasts. And woe be to the driver and the first responders who have to extricate victims from a shattered hybrid car, the voltages from shattered battery packs, as well as the hazmat aspect, can KILL you! But HOORAY, we killed off the Ford Valdez! Let's go have a tofu burger and a bottled water from France.
:thumbs Now that is what I call hitting the nail on the head. :sweet

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Max Power said:
"As gasoline prices hover near record highs and the company's chairman outlines a greener future, the last Excursion will roll off Ford Motor Co.'s assembly line in Louisville today -- marking the end for the gas-guzzling behemoth of an SUV that, for many, came to symbolize Detroit's excesses."

At least, maybe we will see the last of articles from "tree huggers" that don't bother to look at the whole picture.

Our Excursion (both our 7.3 and our new one) gets better mileage than the Grand Cherokee I used to have. And I don't think I could put my Wife and Children, (and the retriever), in a safer rig.

I would love to show a comparison of my fuel bills with my brothers and his wifes Denali to these idiots.

I'm sorry to see it go. We enjoyed our 2001, and I'm glad we got our last and did not wait for the inevitable (and the too late).

Notice however, they never equate it with having a diesel.

If your in a hybrid tin can, trust me, don't pull out in front of me!

FWIW

Barrett

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Glad we got ours when we did,sure'd be nice if a KTP employee got a pic of the final unit coming off the line,I'd pay for that photo :cool:

CHP in Vegas.......

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Ford is probably putting it in the museum in Dearborn along with the last run of every car they've ever done. As for that Super Size pickup, as they said in "Robocop"

"I'd buy THAT for a dollar!"

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
rray32539 said:
And woe be to the driver and the first responders who have to extricate victims from a shattered hybrid car, the voltages from shattered battery packs, as well as the hazmat aspect, can KILL you! QUOTE]

Actually from all training material I have seen they are relatively safe with a few precautions. The battery pack pose no HAZMAT issue as it has no free acid. The high voltage is marked well and is monitored and will shut itself down prior to any life altering problems. Unless you attempt to dismantely the battery you should be safe. Even when involed in fire they pose no real additional danger.

Now that said, I am still not buying into they hype or sale pitch as far as the tree huggers go. And I will also treat them very cautiosly on all MVA's until I gain a personal level of comfort with them and their operation.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really ?!?
Cool if that is the case Fire1, cuz I heard 300 volts - didn't hear the Amps (which is really what gets ya!) but still...
unless the battery has an internal shut off and metal part can't contact the terminals (or any live wires) the power is till there...

and how does it NOT have any acid... is it the type of battery it is ?

curious minds wanna know before we have to help someone that gets run over by one of us after they give us the finger and cut us off :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64