Question Today's Question for the Class

john griffin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
reason I ask is because we have an electric golf cart that uses a pot for speed control and it does the surge at low to mid throttel.The dealer says the pot has dirty or bad spots in it.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does that model have an EGR valve? Reason I ask is when I built my 01 I had a surge at part throttle I couldn't figure out. It was fine accelerating and decelerating. But any kind of constant throttle position cause surging and bucking. During this time I was fighting a CEL indicating low EGR flow. Since I couldn't seem to fix the EGR I turned it off in the tune. Shockingly the car ran 100% better. As a test I turned the EGR back on and the surging came back. From then on I left it off.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Well, according to Identifix, P1211 (IPR) and P0603 (CPS) are the number 2 & number 3 searches for this year/make/model.
P0122 (Accelerator Pedal Position) is another common code/issue.

Given the programmer, and your report that it's worse with the tuner on Performance, I'd have to say it's the HPOP running out of oil. Canned tunes on chips or programmers are notorious for this. If the truck has a ton of miles on it (over 250,000) it may be a weak HPOP *in addition* to the crappy canned tunes.

I think if I were you, I'd throw that programmer out in the giggleweeds and get a Hydra setup from Power Hungry Performance. I also know a private party that sells them (GaugePro Joe).
You have a chip that you program right off your laptop, you have access to the entire library of tunes (800+) and is a sub-half hour install. (Watch the video on YouTube. It will keep you from making a couple of mistakes that may prove costly)

Your Cam Sensor code makes me nervous, I would change the CPS just to say you did. A 10mm wrench is all that's needed. Right above the main pulley on the right side of the very front of the engine.

The go-pedal code.. well, I think I would clear it and see if it comes back AFTER you do the two above.

Note: you're going to NEED a scan tool for this truck. The $50 ones AutoZone and Advance use will not read manufacturer specific codes. And they have REALLY come down in price (you can get an OTC 3209 from NAPA for under $300.)

Good luck and Welcome!

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Does that model have an EGR valve? Reason I ask is when I built my 01 I had a surge at part throttle I couldn't figure out. It was fine accelerating and decelerating. But any kind of constant throttle position cause surging and bucking. During this time I was fighting a CEL indicating low EGR flow. Since I couldn't seem to fix the EGR I turned it off in the tune. Shockingly the car ran 100% better. As a test I turned the EGR back on and the surging came back. From then on I left it off.
No. It does not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58