Help Needed Torqshift transmission 2004 issues...

kenbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, all,

Long time no post.... Hope all are doing well!

Anyways, so, I pulled a stupid. Did some due diligence via Google and such, didn't find anything saying I shouldn't use Royal Purple for my "2004 Ford F350 Diesel"... notice I didn't add torqshift to my search string... so, I put in MerconV compatible fluid in my 2004 PSD with Torqshift. Put in Royal Purple thinking I was doing a good thing... only added 7 quarts to the pan as the bottle said it was compatible with other fluids, no full flush this time around.

As a good owner I of course went through second-guessing my decision after the fact, and found that MerconV isn't a good thing in my tranny.. must use the Mercon SP crap. So, it was time to do a flush... was hoping I wouldn't have to do that for another 30k miles.. oh well.

So we get into it.. I pull the return line off of the transmission, drain the pan, add 7ish quarts back, put on a plastic line off of the return line to a jug so I can measure how much is coming out, thinking the whole time I'm following all the good directions.. of course I am.. I've read them 50 times. I start the engine. (actually, my wonderful wife starts the engine... ) Well, for some UNGODLY reason fluid is coming out of the tranny return inlet as well as the return line.. looks like I stabbed somebody and left them to drain out on my garage floor!

So, we got tired of messing with it, connected it all back up, added back a quart of lost fluid and backed it out of the garage (since my garage is about 6 inches too short to fit the truck and close the door....

Anybody got any ideas? Did I miss a step, or should I just be expecting this? Should I plug the return inlet with something?

I should add that the tranny is in perfect shape, and I'm pretty sure it's still in perfect shape.. ran less than 100 miles with 1/2 the wrong fluid..

Any good help would be appreciated!

--Ken

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58