Tow/Haul operation

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just got back from a weekend of camping. Coming down a very steep, long grade, I tapped my brakes and the Tow/Haul mode did what it was supposed to do...drop me into a lower gear. I had to brake even more as there were cars in front of me that were braking in order to allow a vehicle to make a turn ontop another road. That second "stage" of braking dropped me into an even lower gear. The engine really started to whine as RPMs raced up into the 3500-3700 range. When the bottleneck in front of me cleared up I began to accelerate thinking that the ECM would sense the acceleration and allow the tranny to shift into a higher gear. Unfortunately, no luck. I had to finish out the last, short section of the hill in what was probably second gear. I couldn't get the tranny to shift up until my rig was on a basically level grade. What, if anything did I do incorrectly? Was there a way that I could have "forced" an upshift. Again, when I tried this after the second brake, it caused the engine to wind out even more. Should I have simply turned off the Tow/Haul mode at that point?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
What you did is normal. There is no way to force an upshift using Tow/Haul. You need to take it in the Ford and have them run an Oasis report on it and scan your truck. You have a problem.

Dave

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
An OASIS report is a vehicle repair history, documenting all repairs and recall work done on a particular vehicle by any Ford dealership. If you wish to know whether a particular "flash" to your truck's computer was made. if your truck has an extensive unresolved repair item, etc. it will show in an OASIS report. It's your truck's 'permanent record".

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since this truck is an '06, I'll assume that there won't be a need to run an Oasis report. As far as the scan....I didn't set any codes on the trip.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
spindrift
what is your build date?
Mine does weird stuff like that coming down our brindlee mountain a few times. I thought it was normal, it will hold third a long time, I figure it was becuase i wasnt letting it accelerate fast enough, the cargo trailer was still pushing me i think.

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Build date is 06/05. Is it important to know the day of the week and can you only get that info from the dealer?

chipster314

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to change direction here but does the 06 T/H work better than the 04's. Ever since the reflashed mine the downshifts suck

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chipster314 said:
Don't mean to change direction here but does the 06 T/H work better than the 04's. Ever since the reflashed mine the downshifts suck
They reflashed mine and I think my power has dropped and I know that my MPG has dropped by at least 2.5 MPG's.-mad I pulled the fifth wheel this weekend on a short trip and the TowHaul worked fine.:dunno

Invader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know now that I'm glad I kept my 03 6.0. Sounds like the newer ones are more trouble than the original.:eek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58