Towing capacity from newbie

Discussion in '6.7L PowerStroke Engine & Drivetrain' started by Slash64, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Slash64

Slash64 SDD Junior Member

Trying to determine 5th wheel towing capacity of my ‘19 F250 P/S with 3.55 rear. Have been told everything from 18000 to 14000. Help. I’m confused.

2. ChiefofStuff

ChiefofStuff SDD Junior Member

There is a Trailer and Towing Guide published by Ford for your model year where you can follow the grid with your options and get a number. Don't listen to what others say, including dealers.

Dave in KY, bcvickers and Tunnelman like this.
  3. rlaspinall

rlaspinall Full Access Member

I agree with ChiefofStuff. The sales info is not the complete story. Here in Canada, we are governed by the GCWR, which with my 2011 F350 SRW is 23500#. My truck weighs 8500#, leaving trailer weight limited to 15000#.

4. Dave in KY

Dave in KY SDD Junior Member

I have a 2000 F-350 Power Stroke with 4.10 rearend. The owner's manual says 10,000 pounds towing capacity. Doesn't sound like much today, but back then it was considered quite a bunch.
    If you have an automatic transmission, go easy in the first couple of gears. 2nd gear was known to be a little ''weak''.

5. liveyourlife

liveyourlife SDD Junior Member

Most importantly when towing, especially if towing a fifth wheel find out what your trucks max. payload capacity is. Usually located on the drivers door pillar. Your truck might be able to pull 20000lbs. But the pin weight of your fifth wheel might put you over your trucks payload capacity very quickly. The F250s in the higher trim levels with Diesel engines usually do not have very high payload capacities.

6. carbonation

carbonation SDD Junior Member

It all about what your door sticker says, and a bit of math.
    Chad can explain it way better than I can.

7. eZAK61

eZAK61 Full Access Member

8. treehunter

treehunter SDD Junior Member

9. Slash64

Slash64 SDD Junior Member

Thanks for all of the help! It is greatly appreciated.
    It makes more sense now. Looks like dealers either don't know or are just trying to move units!!!!

10. gary candito

gary candito SDD Junior Member

live your life hit it right on the nose I just went through this check your door pillar and you'll be surprised mine was only 1980 pounds
    which means everything in the truck including you the hitch all the tools and whatnot you have you'll get up there very quick.
    a good way to generalize is the PIN weight is normally 20% of the trailers total weight.there's not a lot of fifth wheels we can pull and don't listen to the dealer telling you the fifth wheel is half ton towable that's BS good luck