Towing in economy mode

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I just got back from towing a 24' enclosed trailier while using my economy setting rather than the tow mode. I got 11.5 mpg at between 70-75 mph. It ran at 800 degrees and 12 pounds of boost most of the time. Do you think I would have done better in the tow or hot setting. There was a 16-30 mph head and side wind. O ya, the trailier had a fairly light load of furniture. The reason I'm asking is that I had a 50hp tow chip before this flip chip and I'm concerned about engine life, etc. I finally experienced the awfull turbo surge at 1600-2000 rpms in 5th and 6th gear.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I haven't towed with my chip but plan to use the "tow" program when we sell cattle here in a couple weeks. The "daily driver" & "race" settings change too much that I believe will make fuel mileage suffer when towing.

I have towed a few "light" loads(~9k) with the Evo. In the 2 hottest programs smoke was heavy during upshifts which tells me pull some fuel to get better economy. I didn't even go a mile in Extreme before pulling over and detuning. The "tow" on the Evo was strong with just light puffs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64