Towing - Performance

1956ford

Pre-Retired
Reaction score
We finally bought a 5th wheel and I was able to tow with all the mods to the F350 (see signature) the past weekend. I set the Diablosport tuner to Tow tune.

The 37 ft. Cedar Creek is no more than 12,000 lb and towed well insofar as it held whatever speed set - 60, 65, 70 - with no problem. It did seem to work on the hills around Brenham and Somerville, though, with much more engine noise. Downshifted from OD running up to 2600, 2700 rpm. Had a lot of odd sound from what I think is the air intake when loaded. Or is that sound the turbo?

The truck is a scalded ape on 80 hp Performance tune not towing and the sounds are quite different which I expect.

This is my first diesel and first time towing such a load. Not complaining but want to be sure the truck does not have a problem.

Thanks for comments, suggestions.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible the noise that you hear is just the clutch fan fully engaged? The 7.3L's do have very loud 'big rig sounding' fans when they are fully engaged. Just a thought.

1956ford

Pre-Retired
Reaction score
Not sure about the clutch fan. I never heard this particular noise until I got the cold air intake - that's why I think it is air sound. And the sound was never so loud as when towing my 5th wheel. Makes sense to me as more fuel requires more air.
Just not familiar with how the truck SHOULD feel and sound when towing.

pollittax

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hey 1956ford just wanted to remind ya downshifting from overdrive under load with that "little" fiver behind you could cause problems if your tranny ain't tight. we manualy downshift to 3rd when the grade gets a little steep, then mash that pedel. my stock tourqe converter never liked full load down shifts, just trying to save ya a bill. I BET A BUCK OR TWO IT WAS YOUR FAN CLUTCH ALSO. did the noise continue or go away? first time my fan actuly locked was with our fiver in the pa mountains, man was it loud, but stoped after a long pull up .

chris o.

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
when my truck was all stock i could hear the fan kick on when towing. but know that i did the DIY intake and muff. delete i here a whole diff. sound also. it sounds like vacume when towing. made sense to me for the sound, with a better filter and flow.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Willing to bet, what you heard is turbo surge.... a wicked wheel will most likely clean that up....

Yeah what he said.

Wicked Wheel link click here

ww.gif

1956ford

Pre-Retired
Reaction score
No gauges yet - that's probably the next thing to do. Plan to visit DI Performance and see what other ideas they might have.

Intercooler any use for improving mileage or towing? I am happy with the truck even on the economy tune. Wish I'd bought one with the first PS's.

Great site!

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No gauges yet - that's probably the next thing to do. Plan to visit DI Performance and see what other ideas they might have.

Intercooler any use for improving mileage or towing? I am happy with the truck even on the economy tune. Wish I'd bought one with the first PS's.

Great site!

You should NEVER run a programer without at least a pyro. If you think $300 for a set of gauges is expensive wait until you melt a piston and are looking at a new motor.

Remove the programer until you have a pyro at least.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr