Towing Problems

jbonaminio

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone has any input on this:
I have a 36' travel trailer with 2 slides that weighs about 8000lbs. empty. When I tow it, I have a lot of problems with sway. I use a combination load distribution and sway control hitch. My truck is a 99 4wd that has what looks to be factory installed 3 to 4 inch blocks between the leaf springs and the rear end. I have been told that with the rear end so much higher that it can cause the sway problems. Can I remove those lift blocks without causing other problems? Or is the better option to put a leveling kit on the front end? Appreciate any input and advice anyone has.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
4" blocks are stock, but you could change them out for 2" blocks. I don't see this as your problem. What tongue weight are you running. Sounds like not enough tongue weight. Is the trailer level when it is hooked up? If not that is what you need to work on.

Dave

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4" blocks are stock, but you could change them out for 2" blocks. I don't see this as your problem. What tongue weight are you running. Sounds like not enough tongue weight. Is the trailer level when it is hooked up? If not that is what you need to work on.

Dave

What he said but also check your tire rating. You should have E's on your truck not D or C. This will give your truck side to side roll also check your trailer tires too.

jbonaminio

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The hitch weight is only 750lbs, and only drops the truck about 2 inches without the weight distribution bars. I am wondering if I even need them. Might try running with a sway control bar only. I have a drop hitch that I have adjusted so the camper is level. I also had new E rated tires put on last fall when I bought the truck. Put new rear leaf springs on last fall also to correct the rear axle wrap problem I was having. Thanks for the responses guys.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hitch weight is only 750lbs, and only drops the truck about 2 inches without the weight distribution bars. I am wondering if I even need them. Might try running with a sway control bar only. I have a drop hitch that I have adjusted so the camper is level. I also had new E rated tires put on last fall when I bought the truck. Put new rear leaf springs on last fall also to correct the rear axle wrap problem I was having. Thanks for the responses guys.

Only 750 lbs tongue wt. for a 36' TT doesn't sound right to me. I'm thinking you need to work on the CG (Center of Gravity) of the whole rig by re-distributing the load.. mainly in/on.. the Trailer. When you hook up the WD hitch.. the tongue wt. is even less.

Your trailer is controlling your 250.. should be the other way 'round.

Last edited:

jbonaminio

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Problem solved! I didn't need the weight distribution bars, and shifted the weight around in the camper and it tows great. Thanks for all the great advice.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you only had 750 TW on a 8000 LB trailer. They tow better with 10 to 15 % tongue wt. Good luck.
Doug

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
Only 750 lbs tongue wt. for a 36' TT doesn't sound right to me. I'm thinking you need to work on the CG (Center of Gravity) of the whole rig by re-distributing the load.. mainly in/on.. the Trailer. When you hook up the WD hitch.. the tongue wt. is even less.

Your trailer is controlling your 250.. should be the other way 'round.

yeah crazy how that makes such a diff!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58