trailer weight

deeretrac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 97 f250hd with 3.55 rear and would like to know why i can only pull(inculding trailer and cargo) 10500 lbs( i think) but if i have 4.10 gears i can pull 14000 lbs?

now i know the legal mumbo jumbo but what does gearing have to do with stopping the load?

Rob

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
tq and power curve shift with 410 gears versus 355
410 allows a faster rpm per given mph and is set up to be in the power band at the 55 mph range.
where as the 355 would be lugging at 55 mph

or so i have heard.
the 55 is purely for example

and where did you get 14000 lbs or towing? highest for that erea truck was 12500 fith wheel. unless your a single cab , no bed 350

Last edited:

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
Got nothing to do with stopping the load. It's all in what your truck can tow safely(and without unnecessary wear and tear) with the gear ratio you have. A 4.10 ratio towing the same load will do it with a lot less stress on your tranny and rearend. The trucks are designed to tow a certain load with a certain ratio to keep the engine in the power curve as powerboatr says. But as I said above towing a larger than recommended trailer makes the whole system work a lot harder. And the tranny is the one tha really takes the beating. Over time it will wear out a lot sooner than it would otherwise.

deeretrac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
powerboat
you may be right. dont have book with me right now. i may have been mistaken.

Ace
yes you are limited by the hitch and ball rating and so on but rear bumper is a DMI cushion bumper rated at like 10000 or 12500 lbs not sure which.
was wondering more for my gooseneck trailer.aint no way i h*ll i want 10000 on a bumper when i have a gooseneck whick in my opinion is easier to pull and get around with.

Rob

Acetcruiser

Hello
Reaction score
I didn't know what kinda trailer you has was just something i thought of......i don;t know the limits of my truck weight wise but i know i'm know where near them with my trailer......even when i hope to have a jeep behind the trailer sometime this year as a toy.....one time i was prolly pretty close to max on the bumper pull hitch had a dump trailer with like 5 plus yards of dirt in it with no trailer brakes....went slow and easy only a few miles too.....

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
In my youth, wait a minute I'm still young and dumb, I pulled 26K truck and trailer from Dallas to Sarasota, FL at 75 mph on a bumper pull.:eek:

on edit: I did it four times.

deeretrac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not saying it CANT be done(ive done it) but now that i have a gooseneck and bumper trailer i use the gooseneck for anything much over 5000 lbs. guess i just like pulling the gooseneck better. i dont know.

Rob

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'95 F-250 4x2 w/5.8, E4OD & 3.55 rear. '03 31' Kit Companion w/17' slide @ 12.9K loaded.
rightrear.JPG

WARNING!!! Action(s) depicted were either performed by professionals or under the direct supervision of professionals. We will not be held liable for consequences of such action(s) performed by any other individual(s).

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
02 pulled the 14k fiver just fine till we hit the mountain,
stopped fine to, but we were over recommended weights.:D
but i was looking for a reason to get a new truck :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member