Trailer Wiring for Towing Doubles

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a receiver installed onto my gooseneck so that I could tow my 8' utility trailer behind it. I figured I could cut down on the number of trips I was making to job sites.

Anyway, I need to run either a 4-flat or 6-round plug to the back of the gooseneck. While I was pondering things, I figured I could just tap into the existing brake and turn signal wiring that is already at the back of the gooseneck.

Is it possible to do this or will I be overloading the system?

Also, if I ever get a larger enclosed trailer, how does the brake controller modulate the power to the brakes. If I add enough power to get the gooseneck stopping sufficiently, how do I avoid locking up the brakes on the lighter enclosed trailer?

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your brake controller has to be sufficiently for the number of brakes you are using.
Two, three or four axes.
You will need to check to make sure your gooseneck hitch is strong enough to pull the
added weight of trailer number #2.
Doug

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would personally wire the GN such that you have the wiring for each trailer isolated so that problems with wiring in one does not impact the other.

The electric brake controllers that we use really are not designed to handle multiple trailers with different braking demands. In some cases this is not an issue because the 2nd trailer does not have brakes or when the brakes on both trailers are adjusted and sized properly for the trailer that the same signal voltage will deliver very close to the same stopping power.

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The electric brake controllers that we use really are not designed to handle multiple trailers with different braking demands. In some cases this is not an issue because the 2nd trailer does not have brakes or when the brakes on both trailers are adjusted and sized properly for the trailer that the same signal voltage will deliver very close to the same stopping power.

I was thinking that they might be close to the same voltage. When I have my fifth wheel hooked up, I really have to turn the controller up. When my gooseneck is hooked up, I have to turn the controller way down.

I guess I'll cross that bridge when we get there.

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well something isn't working. I tapped into the gooseneck wiring and now I don't have brake lights or turn signals on either trailer. I do have running lights though. Everything truck side is working just fine.

I figure it's a popped fuse or relay. Where should I start looking?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I was thinking that they might be close to the same voltage. When I have my fifth wheel hooked up, I really have to turn the controller up. When my gooseneck is hooked up, I have to turn the controller way down.

I guess I'll cross that bridge when we get there.

you may need to adjust your fivers brakes.

for pulling two with brakes....
safe thing would be to run two controllers.
cargo trailer will have drastic differences in braking power needs compared to the gn.
unlessssssss both are loaded at nearly the same weight, at which point you could operate all four brakes on one controller

if you tapped the gn harness at the rear....i would suspect a short or unconnected wire

i have a set up on my auto hauler trailer to pull a trailer with it, and i simply dont use a brake controller there, because the load will be LIGHT single axle
or one with surge brakes like a dolly

iffin it was me
I would run a separate harness under the gn to the rear mounted hitch ball area
and make a "Y" adapter for use when both are plugged in...up at the gn to truck connection for lights and turn signals. then a separate run for the brakes
does this make sense

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I had a reply all typed up the other day recommending 2 controllers but then the site puked out on me. I guess good minds think alike. Thanks Robert. :D

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a reply all typed up the other day recommending 2 controllers but then the site puked out on me. I guess good minds think alike. Thanks Robert. :D
Yel, Right.

I have never seen a need for two controllers, I don't understand where your coming from on that one.
I know a lot of people pulling fifthwheel's and pulling a M/C trailer or boat behind it and all only run one controller.
Never heard or seen any of them lock up the tires on the back trailer.
Doug

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64