Help Needed Tranny overheating

firecfr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 96 Stroke with a E4OD, I have had problems when using the exhaust brake it pressurizes the case and blows the oil out the front seal, I have a US gear exhaust brake. I had the tranny rebuilt and had new springs installed for more pressure in low hold back. I had steel planitaries and shift kit installed also while they where in there, truck only showed 2 gear clutch pack slightly burnt, I bought the truck used and know it had 40,000 on tranny not sure of before I got it, I installed a deeper pan, mobil 1 oil, 30,000gvw cooler also, still when running exhaust brake oil now vents out breather, truck still over heats on tranny oil, has Banks gauge kit, I have checked oil flow by removing the return line, truck at idle flows 3 qts in 20 seconds, but still when running empty tranny will be up to over 200 degrees in 20 miles, I can use some ideas or help, truck has check ball in return line, could this cause restriction? I have asked rebuilder and get no answers back, can some give ideas on where or what I can try.

Thanks

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a chip? What PCM code is your truck?

The easy answer to why this would happen is that your torque converter is unlocking when you're off the fuel pedal and will also happen when you hit the brake. With the converter unlocked you're generating a tremendous amount of heat that you won't be able to get rid of. Also what gear are you placing the transmission in?

The deep transmission pan will not really provide a great advantage in cooling because you have more surface area but you have less surface area to volume ratio. The large pan allows you to generate more heat but it show on a gauge slowly. The greatest advantage of most of the high capacity pans is that they are more rigid than the stock pan and thereby help to reinforce the transmission case.

2 answers for you

1. torque converter lockup switch
2. chip programmed for use of exhaust brake

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Brandon is on this one ;)

Yeap, Need to keep the TC locked up when using the Exhaust brake ;)

firecfr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Do you have a chip? What PCM code is your truck?

The easy answer to why this would happen is that your torque converter is unlocking when you're off the fuel pedal and will also happen when you hit the brake. With the converter unlocked you're generating a tremendous amount of heat that you won't be able to get rid of. Also what gear are you placing the transmission in?

The deep transmission pan will not really provide a great advantage in cooling because you have more surface area but you have less surface area to volume ratio. The large pan allows you to generate more heat but it show on a gauge slowly. The greatest advantage of most of the high capacity pans is that they are more rigid than the stock pan and thereby help to reinforce the transmission case.

2 answers for you

1. torque converter lockup switch
2. chip programmed for use of exhaust brake

Thank you for this info, I do not believe I have a chip and do you have a recommendation for what ones you would use, I have a chip that came with the Banks down pipe but I have yet to install, I am not sure of my PCM code but as soon as I get back I plan on looking and checking it out, I wrote it down but forgot where. so thanks on the pressure part when using the exhaust brake.

I would also like to know your opinion on heating while just driving, empty within 20 miles I am over 200 degree's, I installed the deeper pan which was only 3.5 qts because of the alluminum disapation and fins while going down the road, but to no avail. I have tried to find out how the oil returns in the back of the case, could there be a rfestriction internal that is causeing heat because it cannot flow, I have yet to get answers form my rebuilder and a couple others, so advice here I would appreciate also.... I know when I pull up into the national forest I am not locked up because of speed of vehicle and rpm's but empty I shouldn't build that much heat unless I have pluggage or a bad torque converter, but I have been unable thru tranny shops to get help, glad there is these forums sure offer help or ideas on other things to check and learn.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm retyping this due to a misclick so my thoughts may be a bit more jumbled this time that the last :sorry

The transmission fluid flows out of the coolant line at the front of the transmission and in at the back of the transmission. The coolant route should go out the front to the in radiator transmission cooler then to the oil to air cooler in front of the a/c condenser then to the hard line going to the back of the transmission. Be aware that not all of the oil is cooled on every circulation plenty returns to the pan by simply dripping from the valve body.

The stock transmission cooling systems on these trucks is far from adequate even for a truck that is running around empty. If you do not already have a larger transmission cooler then that is a good place to start many of us have used the tru-cool 4590 with good results, however you can get a big more cooling by using the Tru-cool MAX if you get the max make sure you get the bypass valve version so the transmission has the opportunity to warm up in the cold winter months (the 4590 has it integrated). When installing either of these simply replace the factory oil to air cooler with this one. As far as a restriction yes it is possible there is a check valve at the return that could not be opening entirely but that would be due to trash in the system most likely.

The E4OD transmission has known problems in a handful of areas especially when it comes to use of exhaust brakes (don't know why this didn't hit me before now :dunno) Anyway, this makes for time to play 20 questions with your transmission shop. What did they do to your valve body, did they rebuild it? if so what did they rebuild it with? Did they perform any upgrades to the valve body? I would expect baffled looks and tap dancing around the issue or "we built it to ford specs" in which case you need to upgrade it. The rather popular valve body rebuild kit/reprogramming kit/shift kit that has proven itself many times over is the tansgo tugger HD2 this kit as you can read in the description is designed to help the holding pressures and fix some of the common complaints about the E4OD and by doing so help it to run cooler and last longer. If you get the kit you do not have to do the upgrade pieces to the front pump unless you are dying to pull the transmission or pay for that to be done, it'll do what you need without those upgrades just save them in case the transmission needs to come out at a later date.

Back to quizing the transmission shop. Did they replace the torque converter? if so what did they replace it with? Any alteration to the stall speed? Stock converters have a semi-high stall speed which is ok for the factory power if you get a chip then a lower stall will help keep the trans temps down a bit but is not required. but be aware that stock spec converters tend to be rather weak and would be the most likely point to fail first. Also is it the 94-97 stock stall speed or the SD stall speed, the SD has a higher stall speed than the OBS truck and will create more heat than the stock converter. If they didn't replace it this would be a good idea to replace & upgrade, good converters are 800+

Ok the converter lockup when driving slow. Since your in CO, playing on FS roads I'm guessing/hoping that you have 4WD, in which case your answer is easy, just drop the transfer case in 4lo (you don't have to lock the hubs) this will allow the transmission to spin fast enough to lock the converter but the truck is going slow enough for the roads.

PCM code & Chips... most likely your pcm code from the factory locks the converter and keeps it locked until you engage the service brake or hit the brake pedal enough to trigger the brake lights then it remains unlocked until you are on the gas pedal again. For the chip if you have a banks chip then I'd throw it on Ebay with a good description and it will help to offset your cost of a good chip. Banks does not change any transmission parameters on their chips but relies on their transcommand module to do that (which is not needed with the valve body). Tony wildman at total diesel performance or DP-tuner will be able to take care of you and get you what you need just tell them what you are doing and you'll get what you need. My preference for the OBS is Tony and I like the rotary knob to switch better than a digital push button display. In addition to a chip it might be beneficial for you to have a torque converter indicator light wired up and/or a manual torque converter lockup switch. (if you like the idea then I'll explain further)

Speaking of torque converter lockup in the back of my head I'm wondering if the torque converter is even locking up. Easy test to see if it is locking up: Drive down the road (flater section) at 45mph or so then rapidly accellerate but do not hit wide open throttle. pay attention to the RPM do they rise gradually with the speed or do they spike up immediately? You should not feel a transmission downshift when you hit the throttle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14