Question Tranny temperature & guage warning

PedroArmyofOne

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
While drivin my F-250 6.0l d, the check gauge light came on and the tow light cam on and was flashing. The tranny temp shot up. Anyone experiencing this can you please share what the problem may be? Thank you.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally an instant spike in tranny temps is slippage weather it be the torque converter or clutches. If the tow light is flashing chances are their are some codes that have been tripped. If you have your truck scanned the codes will give you an idea on the problem with your tranny. Cheers, Patrick.

I must add last time I had the tranny temp flare up and tow light flashing it wasn't a cheap fix. Complete re and re. :eek:

JRJ04

Reaction score
do you have an aftermarket gauge or are you just going by that the factory gauge says? the factory gauge is not a good way of knowing whats going on. was the transmission actually slipping or were you just going by the warning lights? it could easily be a bad sensor that you are dealing with.

PedroArmyofOne

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
JRJ04,
I was going by the factory gauge..When the temp spiked, and the check gauge light came on and the tow light on the column shifter started flashing, the tranny drove like it was in tow mode. I did look under hood and found a mouse nest ont he passenger side under hood and there is some sort of vacuum device fight bt the nest. This was making an unusual noise. The device had a white tee attached to it with an open end. When I put my finger over the end, the vacuum noise changed to sound like a more normal noise. I looked for chewed hoses but have not found one yet. I was wondering if there used to be a plug on the end of the nipple that the mouse may have removed cauisng the problem. I never smelled anything that would be an indicator of tranny fluid getting hot. I checked fluid and it looks good not dark and does not smell like burnt cork. Any moe info greatly appreciated. Have a great day.

JRJ04

Reaction score
that almost sounds like someone had a boost gauge in there?? anyone else think that?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Diesels don't make vacuum by them selves. There is an electrical vacuum pump on the passengers fender, under the hood. I think that is what Pedro is referring to. That line should go to the Vacuum reservoir, a tank looking black device on the same fender. What year of truck????

Dave

PedroArmyofOne

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
dvae,

the truck is a 2004 6 liter D with auto tranny. I did see the vacuum pump and the vacuum resevoir which is right next to pump on the fender well. The pump is the part that has waht appears to be a tee with one blacl line that is connected to an area under the pump and the other part of that tee has no hose on it. The mouse nest was located under [ump between pump and the resevoir. I looked again today and did not see any holes, hear any vacuum leaks or what looked like any residue form a chewed line. I guess I will have to pay the piper and have it towed and repaired.. Any new thoughts? Pedro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim