Trans cooler....

SDPS

pull what?
Reaction score
Is there a way to test a transmission cooler to see if it has failed. I went fourwheeling with my dad this last weekend, I was pulling some hills with two fourwheelers on the back and a featherlite trailer (total combination 1300 #) My trans temp got up to 210* and held that way for the entire trip up there. So again if there is a test I can do please let me know.

I have already changed the transmission filter and fluid about 3 months ago.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Trent

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Coolers cant fail unless they are plugged OR begin to leak. What cooler do you have on your truck currently? There are some aftermarket coolers available that are certainly better than stock and some aftermarket coolers are better than others.

SDPS

pull what?
Reaction score
Sorry forgot to fill in all my info.

I have a 2000 powerstroke, automatic transmission, stock oil cooler, the truck has 149,000 miles on all components. The truck has an exhaust, and had a chip for something like 2 weeks? Thanks for the quick response I will take a look into both of your guy's ideas

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
If memory serves me, the 00's didnt have the in radiator cooler and the air cooler, just the air cooler. Correct me if I am wrong though guys. I would recommend a good stacked plate low pressure drop cooler such as the Tru-Cool 4739. It's rated for 40,000 GVW and really get the job done. I have the Tru-cool 4950 model installed in my '95 and towing my 26 foot TT last week I never saw tranny temps over 200°.

lvnalolife

Not a newbie.
Reaction score
I would have to dissagree, get the 6.0 cooler as it is 4 times bigger than the one you have and 1.5 or 2 times bigger than the one for the v-10. You will see almost a 40 degree drop in temps with the 6.0 cooler. Ir only requires a little modification to hook up to the 1/2 in lines and it will bolt into the stock location. Well worth it if you tow and have that lift. You should really look into getting gears done on that thing. I used to have 3:73s and it towed ok, but now it tows 10 times easier on the whole drivetrain now. I tow a 34' Sierra Sport toy hauler with an LT rail and some quads and I have 38x15.5 tires with 4:56 gears. Hope that helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14