Transfer Case gone bad ?????

slomo1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Okay here goes 1999 F350 with a 7.3 diesel motor Can a bad Transmission or Rear End make your Transfer Case go bad ????? I got stranded 2 times now no drive . 1st time pulled TC apart and found the shift fork bad so I ordered another TC from a junkyard in New York . Put the one from New York in and drove my trailer 100 plus miles coming home it went out had to be towed.

2nd time I used my original TC put new fork and plastic pads worked good for about 250 miles and then no drive had to be towed home. So I am 80% sure I am going to pull the trigger and buy a rebuilt TC. Pulled the TC today and found that the input into the Transmission on TC will just spin freely and the output to the rear end just sits like it is not connected to the input. Thanks for the help

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay here goes 1999 F350 with a 7.3 diesel motor Can a bad Transmission or Rear End make your Transfer Case go bad ????? I got stranded 2 times now no drive . 1st time pulled TC apart and found the shift fork bad so I ordered another TC from a junkyard in New York . Put the one from New York in and drove my trailer 100 plus miles coming home it went out had to be towed.

2nd time I used my original TC put new fork and plastic pads worked good for about 250 miles and then no drive had to be towed home. So I am 80% sure I am going to pull the trigger and buy a rebuilt TC. Pulled the TC today and found that the input into the Transmission on TC will just spin freely and the output to the rear end just sits like it is not connected to the input. Thanks for the help

So did the shift fork break or was it just warn down?

slomo1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The first Transfer Case it looked like the plastic tabs had worn off and the fork got right down to metal

DSCN4242.JPG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64