Transmission fluid change Q’s

Oboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a transmission filter from filter 1 so my questions are.

1. When should I do the flush and just how does one go about doing it? Do you even need to flush it? :dunno

2. What type of fluid would you recommend? Most of the mileage on the truck is towing a 9k 5er. I just switched over to synthetic motor oil.

I can't think of anything more, but I’m sure that I will later on.

Thanks for your input!

Mark

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
"They" recommend that you drain the oil by the filter near the radiator and add oil as it comes out (poor man's flush). Remove the lines going to the filter and place them in a LARGE pan and start your truck. This should get most of the oil out. USE ONLY MOTORCRAFT XP Automatic Transmission Fluid. No other oil wether or not it is real or synthetic is to be used. Can you say "warranty voided"? It should take about 18 quarts to do the flush. The tranny holds twenty something.

Dave

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
I would pull the pan and clean it out before doing the flush. You will be amazed at the amount of crud you will be able to remove. I like to do this at least on the first change just to get that stuff out of the tranny. Not necessary but I think they need to be clean inside. JMOHO.
Jim

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58