Traveling near Big Bear Lake,CA

jpclwill

jpwill
Reaction score
Just wanting to know some information about the highways near Big Bear Lake City, CA (primarily highways 247, 18, 38) from Barstow to Big Bear. I am new to towing I have a 2004 Ford F250 diesel pulling a 24' toy hauler. Just wandering how steep the grade is and if anyone has some pointers for me for going up and down safely!! Thanks!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It has been a while since I was there, but I don't remember anything unusual about the grades. Standard mountain roads. Use Tow/Haul when you go down hill. This will save your brakes.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We used to live in San Bernardino, for 32 years, but it has been over 30 years since we were there. I am sure that things have changed a bunch. It was always fun to go camping in Big Bear back in the 50's. I do not remember the roads being to bad, but that was a long time ago.

peterspca90732

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Big Bear

We used to live in San Bernardino, for 32 years, but it has been over 30 years since we were there. I am sure that things have changed a bunch. It was always fun to go camping in Big Bear back in the 50's. I do not remember the roads being to bad, but that was a long time ago.

We were just there in July, our annual trip up to Serrano Federal Campgrounds. Pulling a 2007 Teton with a 03 Chevy 3500 Dmax (F450 on order, can't wait!). Rt 38 from Redlands in my opinion is the best route (fewer hairpin turns, more gradual ascent/decent). There is a very long but straight grade out of Mentone to the Forest Falls exit, then a very sharp turn and your first 11% grade. That is actually the hardest grade, the rest are pretty easy. Also less traffic, and many convenient pull out areas and passing lanes. You end up in Big Bear City outskirts. Its a great drive!

Peterspca90732

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14