Trickle Charger and Block Heater ?

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, all the equipment I have on my truck (mainly the emergency equipment) definitely has taxed my alternator, so I ordered a high output one, (they lost the order, so It wont get here until tuesday :rant , so I'm limping throught the weekend).

Question thought; I have a marinco inlet that I have not installed yet. Anyone know if it would be a problem to hook up both my block heater and a small trickle charger to the inlet? Thought is that the batteries could be maintained when it's so cold while the the engine is kept warm. My truck is plugged in all night when the temps drop.

The trickle only draws 1.5 amps or so I think. Anyone see an issue with that?

Thanks,

Barrett

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I think you want a Battery Maintainer and not the trickle charger. There is a difference to your batteries. Here; Model 12117 12V 1.33Amp

I am not sure what you mean by hooking up a charger and block heater to your inlet!!

Dave

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Trickle charger & block heater

That's a really good idea trust me, i have a 2 amp trickle mounted under the hood and wired in with my block heater, anyone with a t444e knows when it's really cold that huei engines are hard to get cranking so the battery voltage helps alot, two winters in a row and no problems here in new england. Go for it man.

BIG DUTY

F-250 Care Taker
Reaction score
I would just make sure the battery maintainer is automatic. So it has a float setting to prevent over charging. Otherwise it sounds like a good idea. I use a maintainer anytime the truck sits for a month or more. i have never hooked up the block heater and the maintainer on the same circuit though. The Sears diehard charger/maintainer is a great model from my experience.