Trip Preparation Need Advice

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
OSU2003 said:
The trailer and cargo (tractor) will weigh a combined 17,000 lbs approximately.

Then add in the trucks weight of 7000 and you will be 24,000 ........... No problem for a Ford :sweet

Did you figure out where the chunks came from? Does not sound good :eek:

Rex-a-FORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OSU2003 said:
................Changing oil the other day resulted in seeing large chunks of metal in the oil drin pan. Did they come from this engine, or one of the other 25 engines on the farm? ......................

Might be a piston oil cooler tube.......I've heard of a few of them coming off. They squirt oil on the under side of the piston for cooling purposes........

Did any part of the pieces look like a small piece of metal tube?:dunno

Last edited:

OSU2003

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The truck hasn't been driven much since Saturday, had a gooseneck hitch installed and a brake job.

Rex-a-FORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OSU2003 said:
I would think that if the chunks came from the truck, that engine would be smoked in no time.

Not necessarily.......kinda depends on how hard the truck is worked. A lightly loaded truck could go quite a while before the piston would start failing due to overheating..........

Last edited:
Reaction score
One more item - chains and straps - take extra's. Tie that sucker down eight ways to Sunday. I constantly tow heavy - steel and excavators - and nothing worse that having a chain or strap fail and you don't have extra's. Heck I had a strap fail once - went under the trailer tire and blew it out on the interstate. Lucky for me I was in the 01 Dually - she didn't even flinch hardly. So yep - make sure the spare for the trailer is the correct size and type - aired up. I know someone already mentioned a suitable jack.

And one last item - a couple spare bulbs (or light assembly if it's got standard DOT lights) for the trailer. You work around equipment trailers long enough you learn to carry repair parts for the lights.

Good luck with it all -

Ron

OSU2003

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well guys, thanks for all your help. I hate to say it, but it's all much adou about nothing. We found the same model tractor closer to home and for a lot less money. It's being delivered in a couple weeks. I can tell you that we hauled another tractor of ours with that setup on Saturday down to the dealer for winter inspection, and it was not the best thing in the world. Trailer didn't have a left turn signal or brakes. The 15 miles we had to go was plenty long enough. I don't even know if we'll go pick the thing up after it's done. We may just drive it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14